The Society of Hungarian Linguistics, a scholarly society of public utility, was founded in 1904 in Budapest. The main task of the Society has been, from the very beginnings, to promote an all-round scholarly investigation of the Hungarian language, to arouse general interest in the results of linguistics and spreading knowledge in that field, as well as to assist language development activities with respect to Hungarian. The author embeds his survey of the history of the Society celebrating its one hundredth anniversary in 2004 into a social historical and history-of-scholarship framework. He draws up the circumstances that fostered the foundation of the Society, commemorates the persons who first organised the Society and started its journal The Hungarian Language and its series of Publications of the Society of the Hungarian Linguistics, and discusses the aims with which the Society was founded. The history of the Society had its flourishing years and hard times, too (world wars, ideological changes, economic prosperity and poverty) but, thanks to its members and, above all, its able leaders, its activities were carried on among all those changes of circumstances. Up to the early sixties, it was the single most important scholarly body of linguistics in Hungary, representing Hungarian linguistic studies in the widest possible sense and uniting almost the totality of linguists in this country. Even at the beginning of the third millennium, among radically changed and changing circumstances, the Society of Hungarian Linguistics is the most populous scholarly society devoted to the investigation of the Hungarian language and to that of languages and linguistic issues in general.