The School of Oriental Studies in Warsaw (1929-1938)
Languages of publication
Addressing Poland's need to develop trade and diplomatic relations with Asian and East European countries, a School of Eastern Studies (Szkola Wschodoznawcza) was established at the Eastern Institute in Warsaw. The School operated from 1929 to 1938. The course of studies was programmed for three years, during which students were taught foreign languages and basic knowledge about the culture of the East (geography, contemporary history, economic relations, religious studies). Four study profiles were created with the following leading languages: Chinese, Japanese, Turkish and Georgian. Students also had to attend two other language courses chosen from: Arabic, Persian, Hindi, English, French, German, Russian or Romanian. The teaching staff included both Polish university teachers and native lecturers. Entrance examinations and final examinations were obligatory. Each year 24 to 28 students were admitted (6 to each faculty). The headmasters were: Stanislaw Korwin-Pawlowski (1929-1931) and Olgierd Górka, assistant professor (1931-1938). The School had about 180-200 graduates, some of whom became, after 1945, career diplomats or scholars.
Publication order reference
CEJSH db identifier