THE DIOCESAN MUSEUM IN KIELCE (Muzeum Diecezjalne w Kielcach)
Languages of publication
The origin of the Diocesan Museum in Kielce is connected with the activity of Rev. Czeslaw Chodorowski, who already in 1911 postulated in 'Przeglad Diecezjalny', a periodical issued in the diocese of Kielce, the establishment of a museum, which should not only protect valuable objets d'art and souvenirs, but also play an educational role. The first exhibits, usually donated by parish priests, were stored in the local Seminary. Numerous numismatics, documents, liturgical vestments and paintings were entrusted to the emergent museum by Augustyn Losinski, the then bishop ordinary of Kielce. From 1921 the museum was administered by Rev. Josef Zdanowski and Rev. Antoni Bozek. Today we do not have at our disposal a full list of the exhibits amassed in the Seminary storerooms for the future museum exposition; unfortunately, the majority of the collected paintings, sculptures or examples of the crafts became scattered during the WW II. On the other hand, with a single exception all the Late Gothic paintings which comprised the embryo of the Kielce museum, were preserved. While preparing for the ceremonial celebrations of the 200th anniversary of the diocese of Kielce, on 17 August 2004 Bishop Kazimierz Ryczan issued a special decree formally setting up the Diocesan Museum in Kielce, to be opened in June 2005. The Museum is situated in 3 Jana Pawl II Street in the former bishop's residence, used by the bishops ordinary of Kielce until 1991.
Publication order reference
CEJSH db identifier