A Latin inscription in St. Mary's church in Katowice commemorates its first parson, Father Wiktor Schmidt (1841-1917). Father Schmidt did much to promote the Catholic faith in Upper Silesia. Simultaneously, as a politician, he actively opposed Polish national aspirations. Latin was probably chosen as the language of the inscription because it seemed acceptable for both Polish and German members of the congregation.
P. Matusiak, address not given, contact the journal editor
Publication order reference
CEJSH db identifier