PL EN


Journal
2006 | 19 | 103-118
Article title

Pre-Romanesque and Romanesque Gravestones in Poland II. Addenda to the inventory

Authors
Title variants
Languages of publication
PL
Abstracts
EN
The article, which supplements the work Pre-Romanesque and Romanesque Gravestones in Poland, contains a presentation of gravestones dating from the period from the 2nd half of the 12th c. to the 1st quarter of the 14th c., discovered in the recent years in Poland, namely: gravestones with a sword from Sandomierz (the parish church of St. James, 2nd half of the 12th c., from 1226 the Dominican church), from Radom (the church of St. Wenceslaus) and Strzelin (fragment as a pavement stone); gravestones with a cross from Gdansk (from the location of the first church of St. Nicholas, handed over to the Dominicans in 1227; discovered in 1964 on the location of the ducal stronghold) and from Glogów (the church of St. Nicholas), as well as the fragment of a stone slab with a bust from Trzebnica (the former cloister of Cistercian nuns), which is interpreted as a part of an unfinished gravestone. Particularly the Sandomierz gravestone with a sword is important for the chronology of Romanesque gravestones in Poland; it has been used as a continuous footing in the foundation of a pillar in the Dominican church erected after 1226 (before 1241?). The Strzelin gravestone changes the geography of the oldest gravestones in Poland, contradicting the assumption that they were erected only in the territory of the principality of Sandomierz.
Journal
Year
Issue
19
Pages
103-118
Physical description
Document type
ARTICLE
Contributors
  • T. Jurkowlaniec, Instytut Sztuki PAN, ul. Dluga 26/28, 00-950 Warszawa, Poland
References
Document Type
Publication order reference
Identifiers
CEJSH db identifier
07PLAAAA02585340
YADDA identifier
bwmeta1.element.2c196e74-e947-3a20-9256-de8685934c32
JavaScript is turned off in your web browser. Turn it on to take full advantage of this site, then refresh the page.