As the 'Hungarian Language' is the journal of the Society of Hungarian Linguistics, its history is interwoven with that of the Society. And since the activities of the Society practically coincide with Hungarian linguistics in the twentieth century, its journal is a true representation of the results and vicissitudes of those one hundred years. The author glances over the process whereby the journal originally meant to serve the general public gradually turned into a scholarly organ; specifically, a high-standard professional forum of Hungarian linguistics. He divides the history of the 'Hungarian Language' into two periods, 1905 to 1949 and 1949 to 2004. He points out that, in the first half of the century, the journal was the home of historical linguistics, notably that of what is known as the Budapest School. In the second half of the century, in response to the demands of the period, it opened its pages for descriptive linguistics, thereby making the proportions of those two disciplines more balanced; and in the past twenty-five years, it has been offering a large scope to several current trends of linguistics with widely diverse convictions. The appendix presents the interested reader with an annotated chronology of the work of the successive editors of the journal, on the basis of contemporary declarations and documents.