The naming traditions of Czech and Moravian Jews were significantly influenced by the law of Joseph II. on the necessity of accepting German given names issued in 1787. A list of authorized names was created. This list was abolished in 1836 when naming by any German name was allowed. It was only in 1867 when the Jews could give their children any name of their choice. During the occupation, the German law of 1938 applied in the Protectorate required that the Jews use either names from the list of authorized names or add the second name Israel or Sara to their existing name. After the war, these anti-Jewish restrictions were abolished. At present, Act No. 301/2000 applies to all Czech citizens without any differences.