The town of Cesky Krumlov served in the past as a traditional seat for important noble families. Several institutions, each having its own tasks but also capable of collaborating with the others on special occasions, shared in providing music in the castle, the church, and other locations. Comparison with the situation in other towns indicates that around 1500, in conditions of a consolidated post-Hussite society in which lay persons took over a portion of responsibilities in churches from the institutionalized church, whose property they had secularized, there arose in Bohemia a model of musical life whereby professional, semi-professional, and amateur performers, whose indispensable base was in the schools, joined forces in churches and noble residences. This model made possible the blossoming of Bohemian musicality in the eighteenth century, and continued to function into the second half of the nineteenth century or, in some respects, even longer. It finally waned as a consequence of social changes that were projected into the school system, whereby training in church singing and in the playing of instruments was replaced by practical instruction.