STUDIES AND CONSERVATION OF THE LUBRANKA TOWER
Languages of publication
The article includes references to studies of the Lubranka Tower (also known as the Senatorska Tower, Olbramka, Wolbromka or the Treasury Tower), the condition of this building, and the progress of its conservation. The first studies of the tower were undertaken in 1881-1882 by Tomasz Prylinski and in the early 20th century by Stanislaw Tomkowicz. Between 1965 and 1969 the Board for Restoration of the Wawel Royal Castle carried out repairs to the crowing part of the building. Analysis of the history and architecture of the tower was included in more extensive elaborations. Studies of the tower were not resumed until 1999, when they were undertaken in connection with its planned conservation. The author discusses results of these investigations, presenting successive stages of the building and refashioning of Lubranka; he also analyses its architectural form and describes some technological details. The next part of the paper is devoted to a description of the condition of the tower prior to its conservation and a discussion of the main points of the conservation guidelines accepted during the meeting of the Conservation Commission on 14th May, 2001. Finally, the article discusses the conservation of the stone- and brickwork and architectural details.
Publication order reference
CEJSH db identifier