PL EN


Journal
2007 | 52 | 1(204) | 117-128
Article title

FRYDERYK HINTZ AND HIS PIANOS

Authors
Title variants
Languages of publication
PL
Abstracts
EN
Frederick Hintz (1809-90), who came to the Kingdom of Poland from Prussia, was one of the leading representatives of the musical industry in Kalisz before the arrival in that town of the Fibiger family, whose pianos and pianofortes, produced from 1878, quickly came to dominate the local market. He was the second piano builder from Kalisz after Georg Lindemann (c. 1792-1849) whose instuments have survived to our day, and can be seen in places such as Industrial History Museum in Opatówek near Kalisz. Some of these instruments, including those in private possession, have been registered at the National Centre for Research and Documentation of Historical Heritage in Warsaw. The article presents the story of this worthy piano masterbuilder and supplements his biography with new detail, as well as discussing the construction features and external ornamentation of instruments manufactured by Hintz. The story of Hintz provides an example of a manufacturer of musical instruments working in a provincial town who has earned a permanent place not only in the pages of local history, but has also made a signficant contribution to ensuring for Kalisz a high-ranking position on the map of Polish centres of musical industry.
Keywords
Journal
Year
Volume
52
Issue
Pages
117-128
Physical description
Document type
ARTICLE
Contributors
author
  • K. Rottermund, Uniwersytet Szczecinski, Katedra Edukacji Artystycznej, ul. Malczewskiego 10/12, 71-616 Szczecin, Poland
References
Document Type
Publication order reference
Identifiers
CEJSH db identifier
07PLAAAA03286772
YADDA identifier
bwmeta1.element.5424cb5c-8b6b-39b6-a534-86fc0f9cb2ac
JavaScript is turned off in your web browser. Turn it on to take full advantage of this site, then refresh the page.