The Library of the University of Cluj-Napoca: development plans and challenges
Languages of publication
The University Library of Cluj-Napoca in Romania was founded in 1872, and its early development was closely connected with the work of three devoted librarians, Karoly Szabo, Zoltan Ferenczi and Pal Erdelyi. The building of the library was up to international standards at the time of its opening in 1909, and apart from some changes and extensions, it continues to fulfil its function today. With its collection of nearly 3,5 million items as well as with 40,000 registered users and 700,000 annual visitors, the 'Lucian Blaga' Central University Library has become an elemental unit of the Babes-Bolyai University. Library automation is progressing, the library has developed a number of databases, and intensive book exchange partnerships have been established. Strategic development plans include the digitisation of the collection, the enhancement of online databases, the collaboration in the national shared catalogue, the modernisation of the library's organisational structure, the introduction of new services and a greater focus on marketing activities.
Publication order reference
CEJSH db identifier