THE FACULTY OF LAW AT VIADRINA UNIVERSITY IN FRANKFURT AM ODER BETWEEN 1506 AND 1811
Languages of publication
The university known as Viadrina, called after the Latin name for the Oder river, Viadrus, was founded at Frankfurt am Oder in 1506 in response to the needs of a rapidly expanding territorial state in Brandenburg Land, which was in an urgent need of educated theologians, jurists, medics and teachers. The organisational structure of the school and the subjects taught in it met the university standards prevailing in the rest of Europe of those times. Students were recruited mainly from Brandenburg Land, although many came from Central and Eastern Europe as well, including a handful from Poland. Originally, the university offered only reading in ecclesiastical law and Roman private law, but from the 17th century public law had also been taught. The law graduates from Viadrina University were often raised to high ranks in politics, state administration and public law institutions. After the 30-year war, Viadrina boasted eminent professors of law who made valuable contributions to the revival of jurisprudence. In 1911 Viadrina was moved to Wroclaw (Breslau) and became an integral part of Wroclaw University.
Publication order reference
CEJSH db identifier