THE WORK OF THE WAREHOUSING CENTRE FOR PROTECTED BOOK COLLECTIONS IN SZCZECIN BETWEEN 1947 AND 1950
Languages of publication
At the beginning of 1947 the Ministry of Education began the second stage of an operation the objective of which was to secure and protect book collections in Poland. This involved the establishment of five warehouse and sorting centres and the segregation and re-distribution of materials brought to such centres. The Warehousing Centre for Protected Book Collections in Szczecin functioned from May 1947 until the first few months of 1950. It covered the whole Szczecin Province which it 1949 comprised an area of 30 252 km2. Warehouses and sorting offices were established in Koszalin, Slupsk, Stargard Szczecinski, Szczecin and Walcz. Between 1947 and 1950 the staff working at the Centre sorted out 668 377 works, of German provenance only. Out of that total, 296 108 books were given to various institutions in Poland, while 372 269 remained in the warehouses at the disposal of the Ministry of Education. Throughout this period the Centre in Szczecin was run by Maria Quirini who played an important role in saving books in Poland after WWII. Thanks to her dedication many valuable German book collections were saved, collections that might have otherwise been mindlessly destroyed. The history of the protection of book collections in West Pomerania requires further research.
Publication order reference
CEJSH db identifier