PL EN


2010 | 35 | 115-137
Article title

DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE AT THE FORMER HIGHER TECHNICAL SCHOOL IN GDANSK (1904–1945). STRUCTURE, TEACHERS, IDEAS (Oddzial architektury w dawnej Wyzszej Szkole Technicznej w Gdansku (1904–1945). Struktura, wykladowcy, koncepcje)

Authors
Title variants
Languages of publication
PL
Abstracts
EN
The Higher Technical School was established in 1904 in Gdansk and existed to 1945, when it was transformed into the Gdansk University of Technology. Since the very beginning the School had a department of architecture. The Department, together with its members, teachers and students, is still little known. The present article focuses on the history of the Department, starting off from the posit that it was characterised by different attitude towards architecture which allows us to put forward the hypothesis of the ‘Gdansk school of architecture'. An important stimulus for its establishment was provided already during the initial discussion about the formation of the department, when it was said that due to the historical substance of Gdansk buildings, architecture should be taught from an artistic angle. This idea and the views of Friedrich Ostendorf who in 1904 was appointed professor of Medieval architectural design at the Department could be regarded as the starting point for the Department's tradition which for decades was developing - through right personal policy and curriculum - the basis for learning architecture in Gdansk. An important point of reference was the belief that there existed timeless rules of planning and designing and it was possible to isolate them from the studies of old architecture. The participation of the Department members in the creation of urban and architectural landscape of the city at the end of the 1920s and in the beginning of the 1930s marked - as could be concluded from the research conducted so far - the culmination of the process.
Year
Volume
35
Pages
115-137
Physical description
Document type
ARTICLE
Contributors
  • Katja Bernhardt, Institut fur Kunst- und Bildgeschichte, Humboldt-Universitat zu Berlin, Unter den Linden 6, D-10099 Berlin (Germany)
References
Document Type
Publication order reference
Identifiers
CEJSH db identifier
10PLAAAA089729
YADDA identifier
bwmeta1.element.8d2e7c31-0584-398f-b97e-f4e02470cadb
JavaScript is turned off in your web browser. Turn it on to take full advantage of this site, then refresh the page.