Numismatic Objects and Traces of Mintage on Wawel Hill
Languages of publication
The article includes references to the discoveries of coins on Wawel Hill and presents a general characterization of selected coins. The study was based on various publications and Polish local and national newspapers. The first published find of coins on Wawel was the early medieval hoard unearthed in 1828. Next, the collection of numismatic objects related to the history of Wawel Hill goes back to the period 1880-1882. Initially, the excavators' interest focused on ancient and early medieval coins. Some coins found their way to private collections. The location of the finds of Wawel coins has been recorded since 1906. By 1928 at least 151 coins had been accumulated. They were exhibited, among other items, in 1917 in the Rotunda of the Virgin Mary. The uninterrupted excavations carried out for 50 years, between 1948 and 1998, brought to light 1100 coins from ancient specimens to modern ones. The numismatic collection includes Roman objects, a Byzantine coin of John I Tzimisces, Polish denarii of Boleslas the Bold, a large number of Jagiellonian coins, and other Polish and foreign numismatic objects. Coins were also struck on Wawel Hill. The first mint was probably established here in the 11th century. From the time of John Casimir dates the waste in the form of pieces of sheet copper left after the production of blanks, used to strike small copper coins from 1667 to 1668. Under Stanislas Augustus, a mint was set up on Wawel Hill, which worked in the period 1765-1768. This is testified by the find of the blanks for striking gros coins and Crown three-gros pieces, the only such find in Poland. The collection of coins has been the object of interest for museums and has been shown at numerous exhibitions on various occasions. Since 1975, sixty-nine coins have formed part of a permanent exhibition in the archeological-architectural reserve 'The Lost Wawel'. The unique character of this numismatic collection is due to its provenance from a place of the highest state and ecclesiastical rank as the seat of dukes, kings and bishops.
Publication order reference
CEJSH db identifier