Z dziejów usuwania teologii / wydziałów teologicznych z uniwersytetów
Selected contents from this journal
THE HISTORY OF THE CLOSURE OF THEOLOGY / THEOLOGICAL FACULTIES AT UNIVERSITIES
Languages of publication
On the first place, the author presents the situation of theological faculties before the WW II. The Roman Catholic Church in Poland had five of them: in Cracow, Wilno (Vilnius), Lwow (Lviv), Warsaw and within the framework of Catholic University of Lublin. The four of them developed their educational activity in many ways within the state universities. After the WW II, due to the changing borders, the Roman Catholic Church lost theological faculties in Wilno and Lwow. The Faculty of Theology at the Wroclaw University, existing since the year of 1702 and active even during the WW II (within the borders of Third Reich), could not exist after the end of the war. In 1954 the authorities of People's Republic of Poland - without the permission of the Holy See liquidated theological faculties at the Jagiellonian University (founded by Blessed Queen Hedwig in 1397) and at the Warsaw University - removing it arbitrarily to the previously non-existent Academy of Catholic Theology in Warsaw. The academy was a state school, and Polish Episcopal Conference acknowledged its foundation and activities under certain conditions. Scientific degrees and titles awarded by this academy were canonically invalid. Cardinal Karol Wojtyla creating the Episcopal Conference of Catholic Science and Council of the Polish Episcopal Conference caused reaction of the Holy See. The Vatican authorities renewed the activity of Faculty of Theology in Wroclaw (1968) and erected new - non-existent till now - Faculty of Theology in Poznan. Moreover, the Holy See did not approve the closure of theological faculties in Cracow and Warsaw. Thank to that, in People's Republic of Poland there were five theological faculties, under Church's jurisdiction, as in the pre-war territory of the country. In 1974, they received the noble title of 'Papal faculties'. Certainly, scientific degrees and titles awarded by these faculties to their graduates and scholars were invalid to the state authorities. After long negotiations, on June 30th 1989, the government of People's Republic of Poland and Polish Episcopal Conference came to an agreement. The activities of all Papal Faculties and of the Faculty of Philosophy of the Society of Jesus in Cracow were approved by the state. In return, the Holy See granted canonical validation to the Academy of Catholic Theology. The agreement in question seriously contributed to the normalization of the Church-State relations in Poland. It is certain, that it was also a great achievement of the Roman Catholic Church which was accomplished - as it is commonly believed - under the influence of electing Karol Wojtyla in 1978 as the pope John Paul II..
Publication order reference
CEJSH db identifier