Human resource management practices in ZAIN cellular communications company operating in Jordan
Languages of publication
The purpose of this paper is to analyze the best human resource management (HRM) practices at ZAIN; cellular communications company operating in Jordan. study consisted of employees in ZAIN Cellular Communications Company in Jordan. All participants of this study were employees working in the organization - staff, team leaders, supervisors, programmers, project leaders, business analysts, managers, assistant managers. The findings in the paper that there are relatively high levels of practice for the areas of Training and development, Performance Appraisal, along with Communication and information sharing. Recruitment and selection is the one area, on the other hand, where a considerably lower mean level of practice exists.
- Acton, T. and Golden, W., 2002. “Training: The way to retain valuable IT employees?” Proceedings of the Informing Science, Cork, Ireland, June 19-21, pp.1-12.
- Adner, R. and Levinthal, D.., 2004. “What is not a real option: Considering boundaries for the application of real options for business strategy?,” Academy of Management Review, Vol.29, No.1, pp.74-85.
- Anakwe, P., 2002. “Human resource management practices in Nigeria: Challenges and insights,” International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.13, pp.1042-59.
- Anastassova, L. and Purcell, K., 1995. “Human resource management in the Bulgarian hotel industry: From command to empowerment?,” International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol.14, No.2, pp.171-85.
- Arthur, W., Woehr, A. and Strong, M., 1995. “Human resource management in West Africa: Practices and perceptions,” The International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.6, No.2, pp.349-67.
- Ary, D., Jacobs, L., and Razavieh, A., 2002. Introduction to research in education, Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- Beatty, R., and Schneider, C., 1997. “New HR roles to impact organisational performance: From “partners” to “players”, Human ResourceManagement, Vol.36, No.1, pp.29-37.
- Beer, M., Spector, B., Lawrence, P., Mills, D., and Walton, R., 1985. Human resource management: A General Manager’s Perspective, The Free Press, New York, NY.
- Bowen, D. and Lawler, E., 1995. “Empowering service employees,” Sloan Management Review, Vol.34 No. 4, pp.73-88.
- Brewster, C., 1999. “Different paradigms in strategic HRM: Questions raised by comparative research,” in Wright, P., Dyer, L., Boudreau, J., and Milkovich, G. (Eds.), Research in Personnel and HRM, JAI Press, Greenwich, CT, Supplement 4.
- Buick, J. and Muthu, G., 1997. “An investigation of the current practices of in-house employee training and development within hotels in Scotland,” Services Industry Journal, Vol.17, No.4, pp.652-68.
- Cardy, R. and Dobbins, G., 1994. “Performance appraisal alternative perspective,” South Western Series in Human Resource Management, South-Western Publishing Co., Cincinnati, OH.
- Cascio, W., 1992. Managing human resources: Productivity, Quality of Work Life, Profits. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Cassell, C., Nadin, S., Gray, M., and Clegg, C., 2002. “Exploring human resource management practices in small and medium sized enterprises,” Personnel Review, Vol.31, No.5-6, pp.671-95.
- Chang, E. 2006. “Individual pay for performance and commitment HR practices in South Korea,” Journal of World Business, Vol.41, No.4, pp.368-81.
- Cherrington, David J., 1995. The management of human resources, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Combs, J., Liu, Y., Hall, A., and Ketchen, D., 2006. “How much do high performance work practices matter? A meta-analysis of their effects on organizational performance,” Personnel Psychology, Vol.59, pp.501-28.
- Conti, G., 2005. Training, productivity and wages in Italy. Labour Economics, 12, pp.557-76.
- Covey, S., 2006. The Speed of trust: The one thing that changes everything, New York: Free Press.
- Crowley, B., 1999. Hiring the right person for your hospitality industry, The Bottomline, 14(1), pp.13-15.
- Cunningham, I. and James, P., 1998. “The disability discrimination act - an early response of employers,” Industrial Relations Journal, Vol.29, No.4, pp.304-15.
- Czaplewski, A., Ferguson, J., and Milliman, J., 2001. Southwest airlines: How internal marketing pilots success, MM, September/October, 14-17.
- Dearden, L., Reed, H., and Van Reenen, J., 2006. “The impact of training on productivity and wages: Evidence from British panel data,” Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 68(4), pp.397-421.
- Dearden, L., Reed, H., and Van Reenen, J., 2006. The impact of training on productivity and wages: Evidence from British panel data, Oxford bulletin of economic and social research, 68 (4), pp.397-421, ISSN 0305-9049.
- Decenzo, D. and Robbins, S., 2001. Human resource management, Wilsey, 6th edition.
- Delaney, T. and Huselid, A., 1996. “The impact of human resource management practices on perceptions of organizational performance,” Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 39, No.4, pp.949-69.
- Delery, J. and Doty, H., 1996. “Modes of theorizing in strategic human resource management: Tests of universalistic, contingency, and configurational performance predictions,” Academy of Management Journal, Vol.39, No.4, pp. 802-35.
- Dowling, P. and Schuler, R., 1990. International dimensions of human resource management, PWS-Kent, Boston, MA.
- Dowling, P., Welch, D., 2004. International human resource management: Managing people in a multinational context (4th ed.), London: Thomson Learning.
- Dowling, P., Welch, D., and Schuler, R., 1999. International human resource management, South-Western, Cincinnati, OH.
- Drucker, P., 2001. The essential Drucker, Oxford, UK: Butterworh-Heinemann.
- Edgar, F., Geare, A., 2005. HRM practice and employee attitudes: Different measures different results. Personnel Review, 34(5), pp.534-549.
- Ferris, G., Rosen, S., and Barnum, D., 1995. Handbook of human resource management, Blackwell Publications, Cambridge, MA.
- Fitsum, G. and Luchien, K., 2006. “Human resource management practices in Eritrea: Challenges and prospects,” Employee Relations, Vol.28, No.2, pp.144-63.
- Fombrun, C., Tichy, N., and Devanna, M., 1984. Strategic human resource management, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY.
- Ghebregiorgis, F. and Karsten, L. 2006. “Human resource management practices in Eritrea: Challenges and prospect,” Employee Relations, Vol.28, No.2, pp.144-63.
- Gomez-Mejia, L., Balkin, R., and Cardy, R., 2003. Managing human resources, Delhi: Pearson Education.
- Goris, J., Vaught, B., and Pettit, J., 2000. “Effects of communication direction on job performance and satisfaction: A moderated regression analysis,” Journal of Business Communication, Vol.37, No.4, pp. 348-68.
- Gray, J. and Laidlaw, H., 2002. “Part-time employment and communication satisfaction in an Australian retail organization,” Employee Relations, Vol. 24, No.2, pp.211-28.
- Guest, D., 2002. “Human resource management, corporate performance and employee wellbeing: Building the worker into HRM,” Journal of Industrial Relations, Vol.44, No.3, pp.335-58.
- Gupta, A. and Singhal, A., 1993. “Managing human resources for innovation and creativity,” Research Technology Management, Vol.36, No.3, pp.41-8.
- Hair, J., Anderson, R., Tatham, R., and Black, W., 1998. Multivariate data analysis, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Huselid, M., Jackson, S., and Schuler, R. 1997. “Technical and strategic human resource management effectiveness as determinants of firm performance,” Academy of Management Journal, Vol.40 No.1, pp.171-88.
- Huselid, M., 1995. “The impact of human resource management practices on turnover, productivity, and corporate financial performance,” Academy of Management Journal, Vol.38, No.3, pp.635-72.
- Hyde, P., Boaden, R., Cortvriend, P., Harris, C., Marchington, M., Pass, S., Sparrow, P., and Sibbald, B., 2006. Improving health through human resource management, CIPD, London.
- Igbaria, M., Iivari, J., and Maragahh, H. 1995. “Why do individuals use computer technology? A Finnish case study,” Information and Management, Vol.5, pp.227-38.
- Jackson, S., Schuler, R., and Rivero, J., 1989. Organizational characteristics as predictors of personnel practices, Personnel Psychology, 42, pp.727-85.
- Karia, N., and Ahmad, A., 2000. “Quality practices that pay: Empowerment and teamwork,” Malaysian Management Review, Vol.35, No.2, pp.66-76.
- Kinicki, A., Carson, K., and Bohlander, G., 1992. Relationship between an organization’s actual human resource efforts and employee attitudes, Group and Organizational Management, 17, pp.135-52.
- Kydd, C. and Oppenheim, L., 1990. “Using human resource management to enhance competitiveness: Lessons from four excellent companies,” Human Resource Management, Vol.29, No.2, pp.145-66.
- Lado, A., Wilson, M., 1994. “Human resource systems and sustained competitive advantage: A competency-based perspective,”Academy of Management Journal 19 (4), pp.699-727.
- Mabey, C. and Salaman, G. 1995. Strategic Human Resource Management, Blackwell, London.
- Mark, S. and Akhtar, S., 2003. “Human resource management practices, strategic orientations, and company performance: Acorrelation study of publicly listed companies,” Journal of American Academy of Business, Vol.2, No.2, pp.510-15.
- Mathis, R. and Jackson, R., 2003. HRM (10th ed.), South Webster, OH: Thomson.
- Miles, R. and Snow, C., 1984. “Designing strategic human resources systems,” Organizational Dynamics, Summer, pp.36-52.
- Mondy, R. and Noe, R., 1993. Human resources management, 5th ed., Allyn and Bacon, Boston, MA.
- Morley, M. and McCarthy, A., 1999. The Management of rewards, in Gunnigle, P. (Ed.), The Irish Employee Recruitment and Management Handbook: Finding and keeping a high quality workforce, Dublin: Oak Tree Press, pp.375-435.
- Mumford, M., 2000. “Managing creative people: Strategies and tactics for innovation,” Human Resource Management Review, Vol.10, No.3, pp.313-51.
- Nadler, L. and Nadler, Z., 1990. The Handbook of human resource development, United States and Canada: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Nunnally, J., 1978. Psychometric theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY.
- Olian, J. and Rynes, S., 1984. “Organizational staffing: Integrating practice with strategy,” Industrial Relations, Vol.23, No.2, pp.170-83.
- Pettit, J., Goris, J., and Vaught, B., 1997. “An examination of organizational communication as a moderator of the relationship between job performance and job satisfaction,” The Journal of a Business Communication, Vol.34, No.1, pp.81-98.
- Randolph, W., 1995. “Navigating the journey to empowerment,” Organizational Dynamics, Vol.23(4), pp.19-50.
- Renckly, R., 1997. Human resources, Hauppauge, NY: Barron’s Educational Series, Inc.
- Schuler, R. and Jackson, S., 1987. “Linking competitive strategies with human resource practices,” Academy of Management Executive, Vol.1, No.3, pp.207-20.
- Schuler, R., Dolan, S., and Jackson, S., 2001. “Trends and emerging issues in human resource management: Global and trans cultural perspectives - introduction,” International Journal of Manpower, Vol.22, No.3, pp.195-97.
- Shay, S. Tzafrir, 2006. “A universalistic perspective for explaining the relationship between HRM practices and firm performance at different points in time,” Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol.21, No.2, pp.109-130.
- Snape, E., Wilkinson, A., Marchington, M., and Redman,T., 1995. “Managing human resources for TQM: Possibilities and pitfalls,” Employee Relations, Voll.17., No.3, pp.42-51.
- Sonnenfeld, J., and Peiperl, M., 1988. “Staffing policy as a strategic response: A typology of career systems,” International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.13, No.4, pp.588-600.
- Storey, J., 1995b. Human resource management: Still marching on, or marching out?, In Story, J. (Ed.), Human Resource Management: A critical text, Routledge, Lomdon.
- Stroh, L. and Reilly, A., 1994. “Making or buying employees: The relationship between human resource policy, business strategy and corporate restructuring,” Journal of Applied Business Research, Vol.10, pp.12-18.
- Ulrich, D., 1998. “A new mandate for human resources,” Harvard Business Review, Vol.76, No.1, pp.124-34.
- Waterman, R., Waterman, J., Collard, B., 1994. “Toward a career-resilient workforce,” Harvard Business Review, Vol.72, No.4, pp.87-95.
- Watson, S., D’Annunzio-Green, N., 1996. “Implementing cultural change through human resources: the elusive organisational alchemy?,” International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol.8, No.2, pp.25-30.
- Webster, E. and Wood, G., 2005. “Human resource management practice and institutional constraints: The case of Mozambique,” Employee Relations, Vol.27, No.4, pp.369-85.
- Whetten, D., Cameron, K., 1998. Developing management skills, Addison Wesley, New York, NY.
- Wright, P., Dunford, B., Snell, S., 2001. “Human resources and the resource based view of the firm,” Journal of Management, 27 (6), pp.701-722.
- Wright, P., McMahan, G., McWilliams, A., 1994. “Human resources as a source of sustained competitive advantage: A Resource-based Perspective,” International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.5, pp.301-326.
- Zhang, Z., 1999. “Developing an instrument for measuring TQM implementation in a Chinese context,” SOM Research Report, 99A48, University of Groningen, Groningen
Publication order reference