Ontological, epistemological and methodological taxonomy of creativity phenomenon research – call for path forward
Languages of publication
The aim of the paper is to contribute to call for, on one hand, systematizing the research on creativity in terms of linking ontological, epistemological, and methodological issues specifically, for a heuristic framework combining individual, team, and organizational level, creativity facets at every level as well as, on the other hand, for more focus on both unifying methodology and qualitative research methods in that field The aim has been realized through extensive literature studies and in the part concerning creativity methodology review – systematic literature review. Consequently, as the overarching findings, particular postulates concerning the creativity construct research have been formulated.
- Amabile T.M. (1982): Social Psychology of Creativity: A Consensual Assessment Technique. "Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", Vol. 43, pp. 997-1013.
- Amabile T.M. (1996): Creativity in Context. Westview Press, Boulder, CO.
- Anderson N., Potočnik K., Zhou J. (2014): Innovation and Creativity in Organizations: A State-of-the-Science Review, Prospective Commentary, and Guiding Framework. "Journal of Management", Vol. 40, pp. 1247-1333.
- Barak M., Mesika P. (2007): Teaching Methods for Inventive Problem-Solving in Junior High School. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 2, pp. 19-29.
- Basadur M.S., Hausdorf P.A. (1996): Measuring Divergent Thinking Attitudes Related to Creative Problem Solving and Innovation Management. "Creativity Research Journal", Vol. 9, pp. 21-32.
- Batey M. (2012): The Measurement of Creativity: From Definitional Consensus to the Introduction of a New Heuristic Framework. "Creativity Research Journal", Vol. 24 (1), pp. 55-65.
- Batey M., Chamorro-Premuzic T., Furnham A. (2009): Intelligence and Personality as Predictors of Divergent Thinking: The Role of General, Fluid and Crystallised Intelligence. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 4, pp. 60-69.
- Batey M., Furnham A. (2006): Creativity, Intelligence and Personality: A Critical Review of the Scattered Literature. "Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs", Vol. 132, pp. 355-429.
- Becker M.C., Knudsen T. (2001): The Role of Routines in Reducing Uncertainty - Some Empirical Evidence. Paper presented at the Academy of Management Conference, August, Washington.
- Besemer S.P., O'Quin K. (1987): Creative Product Analysis: Testing a Model by Developing a Judging Instrument. In: Frontiers of Creativity Research: Beyond the Basics. Ed. by S.G. Isaksen. Bearly, Buffalo, NY, pp. 367-389.
- Bird B. (2002): Learning Entrepreneurship Competencies: The Self-Directed Learning Approach. "International Journal of Entrepreneurship Education", Vol. 1(2), pp. 203-227.
- Bouchard V., Bos C. (2006): Dispositifs intrapreneuriaux et créativité organisationnelle: une conception tronquée? "Revue Française de Gestion", Vol. 32 (161), pp. 93-114.
- Bratnicka K. (2015): Creativity and Effectiveness in Organizations. A New Approach to an Old Question. "Management", Vol. 19(1), pp. 33-45.
- Carson S.H., Peterson J.B., Higgins D.M. (2005): Reliability, Validity, and Factor Structure of the Creative Achievement Questionnaire. "Creativity Research Journal", Vol. 17, pp. 37-50.
- Chappell K. (2007): The Dilemmas of Teaching for Creativity: Insights from Expert Specialist Dance Teachers. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 2, pp. 39-56.
- Cheng V.M.Y. (2011): Infusing Creativity into Eastern Classrooms: Evaluations from Student Perspectives. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 6, pp. 67-87.
- Cox C.M. (1926): Genetic Studies of Genius II: The Early Mental Traits of Three Hundred Geniuses. Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA.
- Craft A., McConnon L., Matthews A. (2012): Child-Initiated Play and Professional Creativity: Enabling Four-Year-Olds' Possibility Thinking. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 7, pp. 48-61.
- Cropley D.H., Kaufman J.C., Cropley A.J. (2011): Measuring Creativity for Innovation Management. "Journal of Technology Management & Innovation", Vol. 6, Iss. 3, pp. 13-29.
- Csikszentmihalyi M. (1988): Society, Culture, and Person: A Systems View of Creativity. In: The Nature of Creativity. Ed. by R.J. Sternberg. Cambridge University Press, New York, pp. 325-339.
- Csikszentmihalyi M. (1996): Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention. Harper Perennial, New York.
- Dewett T. (2004): Creativity and Strategic Management. "Journal of Managerial Psychology", Vol. 19, Iss. 2, pp. 156-169.
- Dyduch W., Bratnicki M. (2012): Organizational Creativity and the Dilemmas of Creative Strategy: The Construct and Its Operationalization. In: Social Innovation for Competitiveness, Organizational Performance and Human Excellence. Paper presented at the EURAM 2012 Conference, Rotterdam.
- Edwards-Schachter M., García-Granero A., Sánchez-Barrioluengo M., Quesada H., Amara N. (2015): Disentangling Competences: Interrelationships on Creativity, Innovation and Entrepreneurship. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 16, pp. 27-39.
- Ekvall G. (1996): Organizational Climate for Creativity and Innovation. "European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", Vol. 5 (1), pp. 105-123.
- Eysenck H.J. (1996): The Measurement of Creativity. In: Dimensions of Creativity. Ed. by M.A. Boden. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 199-242.
- Finke R.A., Ward T.B., Smith S.M. (1992): Creative Cognition: Theory, Research and Applications. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 6Fischer S., Oget D. & Cavallucci D. (2015): The Evaluation of Creativity from the Perspective of Subject Matter and Training in Higher Education: Issues, Constraints and Limitations. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 19, pp. 123-135.
- George J.M. (2007): Creativity in Organizations. "Academy of Management Annals", Vol. 1, pp. 439-477.
- Gough H.G. (1979): A Creative Personality Scale for the Adjective Check List. "Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", Vol. 37, pp. 398-1405.
- Groves K.S., Vance Ch.M. (2014): Linear and Nonlinear Thinking: A Multidimensional Model and Measure. "The Journal of Creative Behavior", Vol. 49, Iss. 2, pp. 111-136.
- Hall J., Mitchell M. (2008): Exploring Student Midwives Creative Expression of the Meaning of Birth. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 3, pp. 1-14.
- Hennessey B.A., Amabile T.M. (2010): Creativity. "Annual Review of Psychology", Vol. 61, pp. 569-598.
- Horng J.S., Tsai Ch.-Y., Chung Y.-Ch. (2016): Measuring Practitioners' Creativity in the Taiwanese Tourism and Hospitality Industry. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 19, pp. 269-278.
- Hu W., Adey P. (2002): A Scientific Creativity Test for Secondary School Students. "International Journal of Science Education", Vol. 24(4), pp. 389-404.
- Kaufman J.C. (2006): Self-Reported Differences in Creativity by Gender and Ethnicity. "Journal of Applied Cognitive Psychology", Vol. 20, pp. 1065-1082.
- Kaufman J.C., Cole J.C., Baer J. (2009): The Construct of Creativity: A Structural Model for Self-Reported Creativity Ratings. "Journal of Creative Behavior", Vol. 43, pp. 119-34.
- Kahl C.H., da Fonseca L.H., Witte E.H. (2009): Revisiting Creativity Research: An Investigation of Contemporary Approaches. "Creativity Research Journal", Vol. 21, pp. 1-5.
- Kalis E., Roke L., Krumina I. (2014): Investigation of Psychometric Properties of the Test for Creative Thinking - Drawing Production: Evidence from Study in Latvia. "The Journal of Creative Behavior", Vol. 50, Iss. 1, pp. 47-63.
- Kiggundu M.N. (1983): Task Interdependence and Job Design: Test of a Theory. "Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes", Vol. 31(2), pp. 145-172.
- Kokotsaki D. (2011): Student Teachers' Conceptions of Creativity in the Secondary Music Classroom. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 6, pp. 100-113.
- Kris E. (1952): Notes on the Development and on Some Current Problems of Psychoanalytic Child Psychology. "The Psychoanalytic Study of the Child", Vol. 26, pp. 24-46.
- Liang Ch., Chang Ch.-Ch., Hsu Y. (2013): Differential Effects of Personality Traits and Environmental Predictors on Reproductive and Creative Imagination. "The Journal of Creative Behavior", Vol. 48, Iss. 4, pp. 237-253.
- Liang C., Hsu Y., Chang C.-C., Lin L.-J. (2012): In Search of an Index of Imagination for Virtual Experience Designers. "International Journal of Technology and Design Education", Vol. 23(4), pp. 1037-1046.
- Long H. (2014): An Empirical Review of Research Methodologies and Methods in Creativity Studies (2003-2012). "Creativity Research Journal", Vol. 26(4), pp. 427-438.
- Mayer R.E. (1999): Fifty Years of Creativity Research. In: Handbook of Creativity. Ed. by R.J. Sternberg. Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, pp. 449-460.
- Metzl E. (2009): The Role of Creative Thinking in Resilience after Hurricane Katrina. "Psychology of Aesthetics Creativity and the Arts", Vol. 3(2), pp. 112-123.
- Nayak A. (2008): Experiencing Creativity in Organizations: A Practice Approach. "Long Range Planning", Vol. 41, pp. 420-439.
- Oldham G.R., Cummings A. (1996): Employee Creativity: Personal and Contextual Factors at Work. "Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 39(3), pp. 607-634.
- Park N.K., Chun M.Y., Lee J. (2016): Revisiting Individual Creativity Assessment: Triangulation in Subjective and Objective Assessment Methods. "Creativity Research Journal", Vol. 28(1), pp. 1-10.
- Perry-Smith J.E. (2006): Social Yet Creative: The Role of Social Relationships in Facilitating Individual Creativity. "Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 49, pp. 85-101.
- Piffer D. (2012): Can Creativity Be Measured? An Attempt to Clarify the Notion of Creativity and General Directions for Future Research. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 7(3), pp. 258-264.
- Plucker J.A., Beghetto R.A. (2004): Why Creativity Is Domain General, Why It Looks Domain Specific, and Why the Distinction Does Not Matter. In: Creativity: From Potential to Realization. Eds. by R.J. Sternberg, E.L. Grigorenko, J.L. Singer. APA, Washington, pp. 153-198.
- Reiter-Palmon R., Illies Young M., Kobe L., Buboltz C., Nimps T. (2009): Creativity and Domain Specificity: The Effect of Task Type of Multiple Indices on Creative Problem Solving. "Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts", Vol. 3, pp. 73-80.
- Reuter M., Panksepp J., Schnabel N., Kellerhoff N., Kempel P., Hennig J. (2005): Personality and Biological Markers of Creativity. "European Journal of Personality", Vol. 19, pp. 83-95.
- Shalley Ch.E., Zhou J., Oldham G.R. (2004): The Effects of Personal and Contextual Characteristics on Creativity: Where Should We Go from Here? "Journal of Management", Vol. 30(6), pp. 933-958.
- Shin S.J., Zhou J. (2003): Transformational Leadership, Conservation, and Creativity: Evidence from Korea. "Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 46, pp. 703-714.
- Simonton D.K. (2009): Varieties of (Scientific) Creativity: A Hierarchical Model of Disposition, Development, and Achievement. "Perspectives on Psychological Science", Vol. 4, pp. 441-452.
- Somech A. (2006): The Effects of Leadership Style and Team Process on Performance and Innovation in Functionally Heterogeneous Teams. "Journal of Management", Vol. 32(1), pp. 132-157.
- Soroa G., Balluerka N., Hommel B., Aritzeta A. (2015): Assessing Interactions between Cognition, Emotion, and Motivation in Creativity: The Construction and Validation of EDICOS. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 17, pp. 45-58.
- Sternberg R.J., Lubart, T.I. (1991): An Investment Theory of Creativity and Its Development. "Human Development", Vol. 34(1), pp. 1-31.
- Tierney P., Farmer S.M. (2011): Creative Self-Efficacy Development and Creative Performance over Time. "Journal of Applied Psychology", Vol. 96(2), pp. 277-293.
- Torrance E.P. (1974): Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking. Personnel Press, Lexington, MA.
- Trotman D. (2008): Imagination and the Adolescent Lifeworld: Possibilities and Responsibilities in the National Secondary Review. "Thinking Skills and Creativity", Vol. 3, pp. 125-133.
- Vance C.M., Groves K.S., Paik Y., Kindler H. (2007): Understanding and Measuring Linear/Nonlinear Thinking Style for Enhanced Management Education and Professional Practice. "Academy of Management Learning & Education", Vol. 6, pp. 167-185.
- Vegt G.S. van der, Janssen O. (2003): Joint Impact of Interdependence and Group Diversity on Innovation. "Journal of Management", Vol. 29(5), pp. 729-751.
- Venkatraman N., Grant J.H. (1986): Construct Measurement in Organizational Strategy Research: A Critique and Proposal. "Academy of Management Review", Vol. 11, pp. 71-87.
- Wehner L., Csikszentmihalyi M., Magyari-Beck I. (1991): Current Approaches Used in Studying Creativity: An Exploratory Investigation. "Creativity Research Journal", Vol. 4, pp. 261-271.
- West M.A., Farr J.L. (1990): Innovation and Creativity at Work: Psychological and Organizational Strategies. Wiley, Chichester.
- Zhou J., George J.M. (2001): When Job Dissatisfaction Leads to Creativity: Encouraging the Expression of Voice. "Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 44 (4), pp. 682-96.
Publication order reference