KAPELA IMRICHA ESTERHÁZYHO V ROKOCH 1725 – 1745
Imrich Esterházy´s band in 1725 – 1745
Languages of publication
Hitherto Archbishop-primate Emericus Esterházy (1663–1745) has been known only as a patron of ﬁne art and architecture (G. R. Donner, A. Galli Bibiena and others). However, Esterházy had also an outstanding court music ensemble during the period 1725–1745, in which a number of musicians of European signiﬁcance were active. These included composers (Joseph Umstatt, Johann Matthias Schenauer, Leopold Carl, Johann Peter Behr, Francesco Durante, Johann Otto Rossetter) and many outstanding performers (Giacomo Calandro, Domenico Tasselli, Filippo Antonelli, Angelo Cavallari). Apart from the ensemble’s composition, this study also addresses the social status of the musicians and the ensemble’s collaboration with other musicians not only from Bratislava (St. Martin’s Cathedral), but particularly with the Imperial Court Ensemble and other Viennese musicians and instrument-makers (A. Posch, M. M. Fichtl, M. Leichamschneider etc.), as well as with local Bratislava organ-builders (T. Pantoček, V. Janeček). Primate Esterházy’s ensemble belongs to the most celebrated period in the musical history not only of Bratislava but of Central Europe as a whole.
189 - 254
Publication order reference