The town of Zvolen with a population of over 43 000 is an important regional center and traffic node of Central Slovakia. Although in close neighbourhood of the town, historical Podzámok or Subcastle quarter (Zólyom Várallya in Hungarian) made historically an administrative unit subordinate to Zvolen castle, not to a free royal town. The castle itself was since 13th century also the seat of both the Zvolen County and Zvolen castle domain. In this paper we reconstruct the shape and evolution of Podzámok over time. As a service village of the castle, earliest structures by royal courtyard already existed prior to 1244 AD. They were represented by a toll-house, manor house, barns, royal garden and a fishpond, respectively. Since 1619 AD the habitation became a property of Eszterházi House. Medieval buildings were gradually supplemented by houses of clerical staff, brewery, lord´s pub, butchery, mill, saw-mill, artisan workshops and cottages. Spatial development of Podzámok was not only influenced by military function of the castle, but also by local natural conditions (flooded area of river Slatina). The 18th century was a period of relative economic boom, in contrast to a consecutive 19th century. Besides historical written data, our knowledge of Podzámok is mainly based on little-known plans and maps of 1708-1711, 1753 and 1860, respectively. The last standing buildings of Podzámok – besides the castle itself and the cannon bastion – are those of manorial brewery and distillery.