Japońska demokracja - tatemae czy honne?
Japanese democracy - tatemae or honne?
Languages of publication
Some elements of the political system of the country are analysed. as a contradiction between an official appearance and social reality. Assuming that the democratic system works as a political facade the author puts it on the side of the appearance i.e. tatemae. The contradiction results from different cultural patterns between the East and West, while polifical democracy standard belongs to the latter. It was introduced in a non-democratic way and is so implemented to a certain extent due to the domination of a vertical system of social dependencies, exìstìng in all aspects of life. It is treated not as a direction how to run and organize the society, but rather as an instrument for settlement of disputes which, by the very nature of the Japanese society, should not exist. It. results from the network of group interdependencies, based on clìenteleísm and from the network "an iron triangle" emerges: the ruling party, bureaucracy and financial elites. The lack of full democracy is also demonstrated by the existence of big discriminated groups of population as burakumins, Koreans and women. The inequality hurts also the others, though it does not result from imperfect law but rather from social practice, determined by the cultural values.
- Berger P.L., 1995, Rewolucja kapitalistyczna, Warszawa, Oficyna Naukowa
- Brown M.B., 1995, Models in political economy, London, Penguin Books
- Courtis K.S., 1997, A Big Bang or a Wee Whimper?, "Look Japan", November
- Courtis K.S., 1997a, A Big Bang or a Wee Whimper?, "Look Japan", December
- Chiba H., Iikubo R., 1996, Bold initiatives for an aging society: Social security in Japan, "Look Japan", December
- Grant W., 1993, Business and politics in Britain, London: The Macmillan Press
- Gibney F. Jr., 1996, The children are dying, "Time", 5.08.
- Gibney F. Jr., 1996a, Is he running into a wall?, "Time", 21.10.
- Hitoshi C., 1997, So you want to volunteer? The rise of corporate and governmental support for voluteerism in Japan, "Look Japan"
- Kaja J., 1996, Eseje o japońskiej ekonomii i gospodarce, Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Naukowe Semper
- Kaneko T., 1996, Structural reform proposed in the Japanese government's Mid-Term Economic Plan, Tokio: Economic Planning Agency, maszynopis powielany
- Karolczak K., 1995, Kokkai, Parlament Japonii, Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Sejmowe
- Kennedy P., 1993, U progu XXI wieku, London: Puls Publications
- Komiya R., 1993, Economic policy makers in Japanese government, w: R. Komiya, The Japanese economy: Trade, industry, and government, University of Tokyo Press
- Krugman P., 1994, The myth of Asia's miracle, "Foreign Affairs", vol. 73
- Leksykon Państw Świata 93/94, 1993, Dortmund, Warszawa: Real Press
- Nariai O., 1994, History of the modern Japanese economy, Tokyo: Foreign Press Center
- Nishimura K., 1997, Japanese Politics: Reviewing the situation, "Look Japan", February
- Pitman J., 1996, Death of salaryman, "The Times Magazine", 25.05
- Sekizawa H. 1996, Papa's got a brand new shaver (and other hits), "Look Japan", December
- Suganuma K., 1997, Recent economic conditions in OECD member countries, "The Japan Economic Review", 15.05
- Sugimoto Y., 1997, An introduction to Japanese society, Cambridge University Press
- Taniuchi M., 1996, Introduction to the Japanese economy, maszynopis powielany
- Tejima S., 1996, Japan and Asia in an era of economic independence, Kuala Lumpur: Centre for Japan Studies, maszynopis powielany
- Usher R., 1996, A tall story for our time, "Time", 14.10.
- Yoshihide S., 1997, Bureaucracy under attack, "Look Japan", January
- Yoshihide S., 1997a, ragmentary opposition, "Look Japan", September
- Wróblewski A.K., 1997, Japońskie łzy, "Polityka", 6.06.
Publication order reference