NĚKOLIK POZNÁMEK K RUSKÉ PRAVOSLAVNÉ OBCI V BRATISLAVĚ V LETECH 1924-1945 V KONTEXTU PODMÍNEK RUSKÉHO EXILU
A few comments on the Russian Orthodox parish of Bratislava in the years 1924-1945, in the context of the Russian exile conditions
Languages of publication
The spiritual life of the Russian Orthodox community in Bratislava in the years 1924-1945 represents – in contrast to the monastery of St. Hiob in Ladomirova in North-Eastern Slovakia – a hardly known chapter at the cross-point of Slovakian and Russian history. About 25,000 émigrés from Russia found shelter in Czechoslovakia as a consequence of the Bolshevist revolution and the debacle of the White movement. Most of the émigrés came after 1921, after the Russian Relief Action of the Czechoslovak government had been launched. About 2000 persons settled scattered all over Slovakia. In Bratislava, however, the biggest Slovakian émigré centre came into being (in the 30s about 500 persons). In 1924 the Russian Orthodox parish was founded. Three Russian priests were in service there until 1945, acting not just in Bratislava but also in other Slovakian communities where Russian émigrés lived. Metropolitan Evlogy (Georgievsky) appreciated their selfless work among the exiles very much. Beyond the religious function, sensu stricto, the Russian orthodox community of Bratislava organized charity aid for needy fellow-countrymen in the city. During World War II, the work of Bratislava parishioners extended significantly, including Russian citizens from the occupied territories of the USSR as well. Bishop Sergy´s possibilities, however, to visit orthodox communities of Metropolitan Evlogy´s jurisdiction in Slovakia became complicated.
49 – 75
Publication order reference