The relationships among brand experience, brand resonance and brand loyalty in experiential marketing: Evidence from smart phone in Taiwan
Languages of publication
Aim/purpose – The study aims to understand the contribution of the experiential events how to influence the brand loyalty while the consumer synchronized with brand under the brand resonance. Design/methodology/approach – The study combines Schmitt’s five distinct experience ‘modules’ with the SEM method to explore the relationship among these five experience dimensions and brand experience, and applies the Keller’s CBBE model to explore whether the experiential events that consumer participated could help the company build brand resonance through the brand experience delivering in the event. The study applies convenient sampling method and collects data through online questionnaire platform from April 12 to April 26, 2015. Deleting invalid or incomplete questionnaires, the study gets 204 valid samples from the total 229 respondents. Findings – The findings indicate that these five strategic experiences dimensions are positively related to the brand experience; the positive relationships among brand experience, brand resonance, and brand loyalty also exist. Research implications/limitations – The results of the study have some strategic implications for marketing practice. The findings point out that event marketing could be considered as an effective tool to enlarge customer base and to build brand loyalty. In the real world, the more event marketing adopts; the stronger brand experience is and the higher the effect on brand loyalty will be. Nevertheless, the study cannot provide specific constructive suggestion: how to design events to stimulate and create a strong, memorable brand experience. Originality/value/contribution – Few studies examine the effect of each brand experience dimensions on brand relationship, and this study fills this gap.
- Aaker D.A. (1991): Managing brand equity: Capitalizing on the value of a brand name. The Free Press, New York.
- Aaker D.A. (1996): Measuring brand equity across products and markets. “California Management Review”, Vol. 38(3), pp. 102-120.
- Aaker D.A. (2009): Managing brand equity. Simon and Schuster, New York.
- Aaker D.A., Jacobson R. (2001): The value relevance of brand attitude in hightechnology markets. “Journal of Marketing Research”, Vol. 38(4), pp. 485-493, http://dx.doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.38.4.485.18905.
- Aziz N.A., Yasin N.M. (2010): Analyzing the brand equity and resonance of banking services: Malaysian consumer perspective. “International Journal of Marketing Studies”, Vol. 2(2), pp. 180-189.
- Bello D.C., Holbrook M.B. (1995): Does an absence of brand equity generalize across product classes? “Journal of Business Research”, Vol. 34, pp. 125-131.
- Berry L.L. (2000): Cultivating service brand equity. “Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science”, Vol. 28(1), pp. 128-137.
- Brakus J.J., Schmitt B.H., Zarantonello L. (2009): Brand experience: What is it? How is it measured? Does it affect loyalty? “Journal of Marketing”, Vol. 73(3), pp. 52-68, http://dx.doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.73.3.52.
- Brodie R.J., Glynn M.S., Durme J. van (2002): Towards a theory of marketplace equity. “Marketing Theory”, Vol. 2(1), pp. 5-28.
- Carpenter J.M. (2008): Consumer shopping value, and loyalty in discount retailing. “Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services”, Vol. 15(5), pp. 358-363, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2007.08.003.
- Darley W.K., Blankson C., Luethge D.J. (2010): Toward an integrated framework for online consumer behavior and decision making process: A review. “Psychology & Marketing”, Vol. 27(2), pp. 94-116, http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mar.20322.
- Davis R., Buchanan-Oliver M., Brodie R.J. (2000): Retail service branding in electronic – commerce environments. “Journal of Service Research”, Vol. 3(3), pp. 178-186.
- Donovan R.J., Rossiter J.R., Marcoolyn G., Nesdale A. (1994): Store atmosphere and purchasing behavior. “Journal of Retailing”, Vol. 70(3), pp. 283-294, https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4359(94)90037-X.
- Duncan T., Moriarty S.E. (1998): A communication-based marketing model for marketing relationships. “Journal of Marketing”, Vol. 62(2), pp. 1-13, https://doi.org/10.2307/1252157.
- Erdem T., Swait J. (1998): Brand equity as a signaling phenomenon. “Journal of Consumer Psychology”, Vol. 7(2), pp. 131-157.
- Farquhar P.H. (1989): Managing brand equity. “Marketing Research”, Vol. 1(3), pp. 65-100.
- Fornell C., Larcker D.F. (1981): Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. “Journal of Marketing Research”, Vol. 18(1), pp. 39-50, https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312.
- Gwinner K. (1997): A model of image creation and image transfer in event sponsorship. “International Marketing Review”, Vol. 14(2/3), pp. 145-158, https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02651339710170221.
- Heinonen K., Strandvik T., Mickelsson K.J., Edvardsson B., Sundström E., Andersson P. (2010): A customer dominant logic of service. “Journal of Service Management”, Vol. 21(4), pp. 531-548.
- Holbrook M.B., Hirschman E.C. (1982): The experiential aspects of consumption: Consumer fantasies, feelings, and fun. “Journal of Consumer Research”, Vol. 9(2), pp. 132-140, https://doi.org/10.1086/208906.
- Huang C.C., Yen S.W., Liu C.Y., Chang T.P. (2014): The relationship among brand equity, customer satisfaction, and brand resonance to repurchase intention of cultural and creative industries in Taiwan. “International Journal of Organizational Innovation”, Vol. 6(3), pp. 106-120, http://asiair.asia.edu.tw/ir/handle/310904400/79878.
- Jang S.S., Namkung Y. (2009): Perceived quality, emotions, and behavioral intentions: Application of an extended Mehrabian-Russell model to restaurants. “Journal of Business Research”, Vol. 62(4), pp. 451-460, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.01.038.
- Kamakura W.A., Russell G.J. (1993): Measuring brand value with scanner data. “International Journal of Research in Marketing”, Vol. 10, pp. 9-22.
- Kapferer E. (1995): Strategic brand management. New approaches to creating and evaluating brand equity. Simon & Schuster, London.
- Keller K.L. (1993): Conceptualizing, measuring, managing customer-based brand equity. “Journal of Marketing”, Vol. 57(1), pp. 1-22, http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1252054.
- Keller K.L. (2001): Building customer-based brandequity. “Marketing Management”, Vol. 10(2), pp. 14-19.
- Keller K.L. (2003): Brand synthesis: The multidimensionality of brand knowledge. “Journal of Consumer Research”, Vol. 29(4), pp. 595-600, https://doi.org/10.1086/346254.
- Keller K.L. (2009): Building strong brands in a modern marketing communications environment. “Journal of Marketing Communications”, Vol. 15(2-3), pp. 139-155, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13527260902757530
- Keller K.L., Parameswaran M.G., Jacob I. (2011): Strategic brand management: Building, measuring, and managing brand equity. Pearson Education India, Delhi.
- Kerin R.A., Jain A., Howard D.J. (1992): Store shopping experience and consumer price-quality-value perceptions. “Journal of Retailing”, Vol. 68(4), pp. 376-397.
- Luo X., Donthu N. (2006): Marketing’s credibility: A longitudinal investigation of marketing communication productivity and shareholders value. “Journal of Marketing”, Vol. 70(4), pp. 70-91, http://dx.doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.70.4.70.
- Mattila A.S., Wirtz J. (2001): Congruency of scent and music as a driver of in-store evaluations and behaviour. “Journal of Retailing”, Vol. 77(2), pp. 273-289, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(01)00042-2.
- Menon S., Kahn B. (2002): Cross-category effects of induced arousal and pleasure on the internet shopping experience. “Journal of Retailing”, Vol. 78(1), pp. 31-40, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(01)00064-1.
- Michon R., Chebat J.C., Turley L.W. (2005): Mall atmospheres: The interaction effects of the mall environment on shopping behaviour. “Journal of Business Research”, Vol. 58(5), pp. 576-583, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2003.07.004.
- Nunnally J.C. (1978): Psychometric theory. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Oliver R.L. (1999): Whence consumer loyalty? “Journal of Marketing”, Vol. 63(4), pp. 33-44, http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1252099.
- Pine B.J., Gilmore J.H. (1998): Welcome to the experience economy. “Harvard Business Review”, Vol. 76, pp. 97-105.
- Podsakoff P.M., Organ D.W. (1986): Self-reports in organizational research: Problems and propects. “Journal of Management”, Vol. 12(4), pp. 531-544, https://doi.org/10.1177/014920638601200408.
- Schmitt B. (1999): Experiential marketing. “Journal of Marketing Management”, Vol. 15(1-3), pp. 53-67, http://dx.doi.org/10.1362/026725799784870496.
- Sherman E., Mathur A., Smith R.B. (1997): Store environment and consumer purchase behaviour: Mediating role of consumer emotions. “Psychology and Marketing”, Vol. 14(4), pp. 361-378, http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6793.
- Simon C.J., Sullivan M.W. (1993): The measurement and determinants of brand equity: A financial approach. “Marketing Science”, Vol. 12, pp. 28-52.
- Swinyard W.R. (1993): The effects of mood, involvement, and quality of store experience on shopping intentions. “Journal of Consumer Research”, Vol. 20(2), pp. 271-280, https://doi.org/10.1086/209348.
- Turley L.W., Milliman R.E. (2000): Atmospheric effects on shopping behaviour: A review of the experimental evidence. “Journal of Business Research”, Vol. 49(2), pp. 193-211, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00010-7.
- Wang H., Wei Y., Yu C. (2008): Global brand equity model: Combining customer-based with product-market outcome approaches. “Journal of Product & Brand Management”, Vol. 17(5), pp. 305-316, http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/10610420810896068.
- Whelan S., Wohlfeil M. (2006): Communicating brands through engagement with ‘lived’ experiences. “Journal of Brand Management”, Vol. 13(4/5), pp. 313-329, http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.bm.2540274.
- Wood E.H. (2009): Evaluating event marketing: Experience or outcome? “Journal of Promotion Management”, Vol. 15(1-2), pp. 247-268, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10496490902892580.
- Wood E.H., Masterman G. (2007): Event marketing: Experience and exploitation. In: Extraordinary Experiences Conference: Managing the consumer experience in hospitality, leisure, sport, tourism, retail and events. Bournemouth University, 3rd & 4th September, Poole and Bournemouth, Dorset.
- Yoo B., Donthu N. (2001): Developing and validating multidimensional consumer-based brand equity scale. “Journal of Business Research”, Vol. 52(1), pp. 1-14.
- Yoo B., Donthu N., Lee S. (2000): An examination of selected marketing mix elements and brand equity. “Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science”, Vol. 28(2), pp. 195-211.
Publication order reference