Bank affiliation influence on life insurers’ performance before and after the financial crisis
Languages of publication
The article analyses the link between Italian life insurers’ profitability and bank affiliation. It also examines the influence that the differences in product mix and distribution costs displayed by bank affiliated versus traditional insurers has on results. and the changes that the big financial crisis caused in the previously established correlations. Our results highlights that, until 2007 neither distribution efficiency nor being bank affiliated significantly affected performance. Product mix composition did not influence results as well. After the start of the big financial crisis though, both distribution efficiency and bank affiliation prove to be crucial in fostering performance. Moreover, adverse economic conditions make product mix revision crucial in order to adapt to changes in demand and sustain profitability.
- Adams M., Hardwick P., Zou H. (2008): Reinsurance and Corporate Taxation in the United Kingdom Life Insurance Industry. "Journal of Banking & Finance", Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 101-115, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2007.09.006.
- Anderloni L., Moro O. (2014a): Non Life Insurance Economic Performances - An Empirical Investigation. "Journal of Economics & Management", Vol. 18, pp. 160-177.
- Anderloni L., Moro O. (2014b): Assicurazioni vita: quale impatto della crisi sulla performance? "Banche e Banchieri", No. 4, pp. 429-50.
- Baele L., de Jonghe O., Vander Vennet R. (2007): Does the Stock Market Value Bank Diversification? "Journal of Banking & Finance", Vol. 31, No. 7, pp. 1999-2023, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2006.08.003.
- Baranoff E., Sager T. (2003): The Relations among Organizational and Distribution Forms and Capital and Asset Risk Structures in the Life Insurance Industry. "Journal of Risk and Insurance", Vol. 70, No. 3, pp. 375-400, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ 1539-6975.t01-1-00057.
- Barros C.P., Barroso N., Borges M.R. (2006): Measuring Efficiency in the Life Insurance Industry with a Stochastic Frontier Model. Paper presented at the 28th International Congress of Actuaries, Paris, May 28th - June 2nd.
- Benoist G. (2003): Bancassurance: The New Challenges. "The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance", Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 295-303, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin. 2006.08.003.
- Chen Z., Tan J. (2011): Does Bancassurance Add Value for Banks? - Evidence from Mergers and Acquisitions between European Banks and Insurance Companies. "Research in International Business and Finance", Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 104-112, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2010.08.002.
- Chiorazzo V., Milani C., Salvini F. (2008): Income Diversification and Bank Performance: Evidence from Italian Banks. "Journal of Financial Services Research", Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 181-203, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10693-008-0029-4.
- Clipici E., Bolovan C. (2012): Bancassurance - Main Insurance Distribution and Sale Channel in Europe. "Scientific Bulletin - Economic Sciences", Vol. 11, Special issue, pp. 54-62.
- Cummins J.D., Nini G. (2002): Optimal Capital Utilization by Financial Firms: Evidence from the Property-Liability Insurance Industry. "Journal of Financial Services Research", Vol. 21, No. 15, pp. 15-53, http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1014369- 617192.
- DeYoung R., Rice T. (2004): Noninterest Income and Financial Performance at U.S. Commercial Banks. "Financial Review", Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 101-127, http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1111/j.0732-8516.2004.00069.x.
- Elyasiani E., Staikouras S.K., Dontis-Charitos P. (2016): Cross-Industry Product Diversification and Contagion in Risk and Return: The Case of Bank-Insurance and Insurance- Bank Takeovers. "Journal of Risk and Insurance", Vol. 83, No. 3, pp. 681- 718, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jori.12066.
- Etgar M. (1977): Cost Effectiveness in Insurance Distribution. "Journal of Risk and Insurance", Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 211-222, http://dx.doi.org10.2307/252134.
- European Council (1989): Second Council Directive 89/646/EEC of 15 December 1989 on the Coordination of Laws, Regulations and Administrative Provisions Relating to the Taking up and Pursuit of the Business of Credit Institutions and Amending Directive 77/780/EEC. "Official Journal" L 386, pp. 1-13.
- Falautano I., Marsiglia E. (2003): Integrated Distribution of Insurance and Financial Services and Value Creation: Challenges Ahead. "The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance", Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 481-494, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1468-0440.00238.
- Fields L.P., Fraser D.R., Kolari J.W. (2007): Is Bancassurance a Viable Model for Financial Firms? "Journal of Risk and Insurance", Vol. 74, No. 4, pp. 777-794, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6975.2007.00234.x.
- Fiordelisi F., Ricci O. (2011): Bancassurance Efficiency Gains: Evidence from the Italian Banking and Insurance Industries. "The European Journal of Finance", Vol. 17, No. 9-10, pp. 789-810, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1351847X.2010.538519.
- Fiordelisi F., Ricci O. (2012): Bancassurance in Europe, Past, Present and Future. Palgrave Macmillan Studies in Banking and Financial Institutions, London.
- Floreani A., Rigamonti S. (1999): La gestione dei rischi finanziari nelle polizze vita rivalutabili. ISU Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milano.
- Hoschka T.C. (1994): Bancassurance in Europe. MacMillan Press, London.
- ISVAP (1999): Le polizze index e unit linked in Italia. Quaderno ISVAP n. 5, Roma.
- ISVAP (2008): Regolamento 19 del marzo 2008. "Italian Official Law Bulletin", n. 80, del 4/4.
- Kaye G. (1991): Economies of Scale in the UK Life Insurance Industry Companies: an Empirical Approach. "The Geneva papers on Risk and Insurance", Vol. 16, No. 60, pp. 302-314.
- Klumpes P.J.M., Schuermann S. (2011): Corporate, Product and Distribution Strategies in the European Life Insurance Industry. "Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice", Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 50-75, http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/gpp.2010.38.
- Leech D. (2002): Shareholder Voting Power and Ownership Control of Companies. "Homo Oeconomicus", Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 345-373.
- Lelyveld I. van, Knot K. (2009): Do Financial Conglomerates Create or Destroy Value? Evidence from the EU. "Journal of Banking and Finance", Vol. 33, No. 12, pp. 2312-2321, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2009.06.007.
- Liebenberg A.P., Sommer D.W. (2008): Effects of Corporate Diversification: Evidence from the Property-Liability Insurance Industry. "Journal of Risk and Insurance", Vol. 75, No. 4, pp. 893-919.
- Mankaï S., Belgacem A. (2016): Interactions between Risk Taking, Capital and Reinsurance for Property and Liability Insurance Firms. "Journal of Risk and Insurance", Vol. 83, No. 4, pp. 1007-1043, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jori.12080.
- Nissim D. (2010): Analysis and Valuation of Insurance Companies. Columbia Business School, Columbia University, CE|ASA (Center for Excellence in Accounting and Security Analysis) Industry Study No. 2, November 30th, New York.
- Nurullah M., Staikouras S.K. (2008): The Separation of Banking from Insurance: Evidence from Europe. "Multinational Finance Journal", Vol. 12, No. 3-4, pp. 157-184.
- Praetz P.D. (1983): The Effect of Size and Other Economic Factors on the expense Rate Behaviour of UK Life Insurance Companies. "Journal of the Institute of Actuaries" September, Vol. 110, No. 2, pp. 383-388, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0020268100041408.
- Praetz P.D. (1985): A Note on Economies of Scale in the United Kingdom Property Liability Insurance Industry. "Journal of Risk and Insurance", Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 315-320, http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/252520.
- Rumble A., Stiroh K.J. (2006): The Dark Side of Diversification: The Case of US Financial Holding Companies. "Journal of Banking & Finance", Vol. 30, No. 18, pp. 2131-2161, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2005.04.030.
- Schmid M.M., Walter I. (2009): Do Financial Conglomerates Create or Destroy Economic Value? "Journal of Financial Intermediation", Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 193-216, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfi.2008.07.002.
- Schneider M.C. (2014): Bancassurance in the Italian Life Insurance Industry. An Analysis of Scale Economies, Concentration and Risk Profile. P.H.D. Dissertation, Università degli Studi di Udine, Udine.
- Staikouras S.K. (2006): Business Opportunities and Market Realities in Financial Conglomerates. "The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance. Issues and Practices", Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 124-148.
- Stiroh K.J. (2004): Diversification in Banking: Is Noninterest Income the answer? "Journal of Money, Credit and Banking", No. 36, pp. 853-882, http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1353/mcb.2004.0076.
- Stiroh K.J. (2006): A Portfolio View of Banking with Interest and Noninterest Activities. "Journal of Money, Credit and Banking", Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 1351-1361, http://dx.doi.org/10.1353/mcb.2006.0075.
- Swiss Re (1992): Bancassurance: A Survey on Competition between Banking and Insurance. "Sigma", Vol. 2, pp. 1-4.
- Swiss Re (2007): Bancassurance: Emerging Trends, Opportunities and Challenges. "Sigma", Vol. 5, pp. 1-38.
- Swiss Re (2011): Insurance in emerging markets: growth drivers and profitability. "Sigma", Vol. 5, pp. 1-37.
- Swiss Re (2012): Understanding Profitability in Life Insurance. "Sigma", Vol. 1, pp. 1-35.
- Van den Berghe L., Verweire K. (2000): Convergence in the Financial Services Industry. "The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance", Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 262-272.
- Van den Berghe L., Verweire K., Carchon S.W.M. (1999): Convergence in the Financial Services Industry. Report commissioned by OECD, Tokyo Executive Seminar on Insurance Regulation and Supervision, Tokio.
- Ward D. (2002): The Cost of Distribution in the UK Life Insurance Market. "Applied Economics", Vol. 34, pp. 1959-1968, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00036840210129428
Publication order reference