SVÄTÝ JUR-HILLFORT NEŠTICH – NEW INSIGHTS ON THE SETTLEMENT AND FORTIFICATION OF THE EARLY MEDIEVAL HILLFORT
Languages of publication
In literature, the hillfort in Svätý Jur is known as an important early medieval centre, dated back to the 9th century, most notably to its second half. However, the first evidence of the use of the site in the early medieval period comes from the 8th century. Part of the monuments could also belong to the first half of the 10th century. In addition to the central acropolis, which is defined by massive ramparts, the hillfort has two chronologically slightly younger baileys. The archaeological research took place here in the years 1957–1962 and restarted again in 2006. Nevertheless, information about the settlement density and its inner structure as well as the character of the fortification system is relatively modest. In this regard we tried to gain new knowledge by deploying a wide range of geophysical prospecting methods. Electrical Resistivity Tomography (ERT) and Geo-radar survey (GPR) measurements were carried out, focusing on the fortification elements of the hillfort. Within a third used method – magnetometry, we focused on the prospection of inner area of both outer baileys. On this count, it was possible to define the internal structure of the ramparts and identify some of the constructional elements of the wall, as well as to define the extent of the inhabited area and locate several settlement structures. From the methodological point of view, the comparison of geophysical data with the results of earlier archaeological research played an important role.
103 - 127
Publication order reference