Muzeum Kolejowe oraz Muzeum Komunikacji w Warszawie (1928-1939)
The Museum of the Railway Transport and the Museum of the City Transport in Warsaw (1928-1939)
Languages of publication
The article deals with the history of the Museum of the Railway Transport that was founded on 18 February 1928. At the beginning, the institution established by a decree of the Minister of Transport was located in the left wing of the Wileński Railway Station in Warsaw. The first exhibition comprised the following divisions: historical, contemporary, general and scientific-informative. The first curator of the museum was the Stanisław Witoszyński. As the building of the Wileński Railway Station had to be pulled down, on 13 December 1931, the museum`s collections were transferred to a new – also provisional – building at the 1, Nowy Zjazd Street. In the following years, the collections expanded but they could not be exhibited any longer in the provisional, non-functional building they were housed in at the time. In 1937, Władysław Woydyno was appointed for the post of the museum`s curator. There were plans to merge the Museum of the Railway Transport with the Museum of Technics and Industry – both institutions were to be located in the Palace of Technology and Industry, a project of Prof. Bohdan Pniewski that had been never realized because of the outbreak of the war. On 14 December 1938, basing on a decision of the Minister of Transport, the Museum of the Railway Transport was transformed into the Museum of the City Transport. New divisions of the new museum were opened: a waterways` division and a highways` division. The war and the German occupation of Warsaw caused an almost complete destruction of the Museum of the City Transport`s collections, collections of great historical and material value. The few exhibits from the pre-war museum are now part of the collections of the Museum of Technology NOT in Warsaw (NOT in Polish: Naczelna Organizacja Techniczna, in English: Main Technical Organization), as well as of those of the Chamber of the Tradition of the Engineering School in Warsaw and those of the Railway Museum (Muzeum Kolejnictwa) in Warsaw.
Publication order reference