Gmach Komisji Obwodowej w Olkuszu. Przykład powstawania i funkcjonowania gmachów rządowych w Królestwie Kongresowym
THE BUILDING OF THE DISTRICT COMMITTEE IN OLKUSZ. AN EXAMPLE OF THE CONSTRUCTING AND FUNCTIONING OF GOVERNMENT BUILDINGS IN THE CONGRESS KINGDOM OF POLAND
Languages of publication
The building of the District Committee in Olkusz, erected in 1827-28, provides important historical evidence, being also a valuable piece of architectural heritage. As a seat of government offices, functioning uninterruptedly since its erection to the 1990s, it is a testimony to the political and economic changes in the history of the town, region and state. First of all, it is connected with the important period of change after 1815, when the devastated town gained new opportunities to develop, as did other towns of the Kingdom of Poland (called the Congress Kingdom). The building is classicist, perfectly representing the style dominant in the Congress Kingdom. The best known illustrations of Congress Kingdom classicism are located in Warsaw and central Poland, therefore the Olkusz edifice is a rare token of this style in Little Poland, as well as an example of public buildings from the 1820s testifying to the high quality of architectural, administrative and economic undertakings in the Kingdom. The documents concerning the financial problems connected with its construction provide a good illustration of state building investment in the Kingdom and its being influenced by the need to economize. The exterior of the edifice has remained in its original shape, and the interior has only been slightly changes since the 2nd quarter of the 19th c. The classicist body of the building with its stylish, stately facade, is an important and consciously composed element of the market square. Due to its location, it has played a vital role in the layout of the historic town of Olkusz until today. It should be stressed that it is counted among the oldest surviving buildings in Olkusz, together with the parish church and a few burgher houses. The building has also many original stylish and valuable interior decorations. Relics under the edifice include fragments of mediaeval stone cellars and interesting remains of the royal mint, which functioned here in 1578-1601.
Publication order reference