Klasztor cystersów w Jędrzejowie w drugiej połowie XV wieku. Rządy opackie Mikołaja Odrowąża z Rembieszyc 1448-1496
CISTERSIAN MONASTERY IN JĘDRZEJÓW IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE 15TH CENTURY THE ABBOT RULE OF MIKOŁAJ ODROWĄŻ OF REMBIESZYCE (1448-1496)
Languages of publication
The purpose of the article is to present the history of the Cistersian monastery in Jędrzejów in the second half of the 15th c. The abbot was at that time Mikołaj of Rembieszyce of the arms Odrowąż (1448-1496). Under his rule the monastery numbered over 20 people. The abbot cared for the education of his monks and sent them to the Cracow University. He struggled to keep regular observance. Because of that the monastery enjoyed authority among the local community and attracted a wide group of benefactors and confraters from the gentry, burghers and clergy. Abbot Mikołaj initiated the gothic rebuilding of the monastery. He also furnished the church with new paintings, sculptures and liturgical parament. Among those involved in those activities was Veit Stoss and numerous goldsmiths from Cracow. He cared for the good condition of the monastery economy during the hard time of intense royal fiscalism and lack of coin. The abbot forecfully defended the borders of the land estate and rights of the monastery, especially to collect the tithe. His rule was full of numerous lawsuits, quarrels and agreements with neighbours. After his death, abbot Mikołaj was buried in the chapter house which was disassembled at the beginning of th 20th c. He was remembered as a good superior, virtuous and ruling to the benefit of the monastery.
Publication order reference