Goal Setting in the Newsvendor Problem with Uniformly Distributed Demand
Languages of publication
In the paper we introduce the newsvendor problem with a satisficing-level objective, which is defined as maximization of the probability of exceeding the moving target. This target is defined as the expected profit, multiplied by a positive constant. The constant is chosen by the management and it indicates whether the low or the high goal should be achieved. We obtain closed form solutions of this newsvendor model with uniformly distributed demand. Additionally, we consider a bicriteria problem with the satisficing- -level and the classical objective.
- Arcelus F.J., Kumar S., Srinivasan G. (2012), Bicriteria Optimization in the Newsvendor Problem with Uniformly Distributed Demand, 4OR Journal of Operations Research, 10, 267-286.
- Arrow K.J., Harris T., Marshak J. (1951), Optimal Inventory Policy, Econometrica, 19(3), 250-272.
- Bieniek M. (2016), Bicriteria Optimization in the Newsvendor Problem with Exponentially Distributed Demand, Multiple Criteria Decision Making, 11, 20-35.
- Bieniek M. (2017), Bicriteria Optimization in Risk-adjusted Newsvendor, Multiple Criteria Decision Making, 12, 9-21.
- Chankong V., Haimes Y.Y. (1983), Mutiobjectie Decision Making: Theory and Methodology, North-Holland, New York, NY.
- Cyert R.M., March J.G. (1963), A Behavioral Theory of the Firm, Prentice-Hall Inc., New Jersey, USA.
- Dechow P.M., Skinner D.J. (2000), Earnings Management: Reconciling the Views of Accounting Academics, Practitioners, and Regulators, American Accountig Association – Accountig Horizons, 14(2), 235-250.
- He X., Khouja M. (2011), Pareto Analysis of Supply Chain Contracts under Satisficing Objectives, European Journal of Operational Research, 214, 53-66.
- Khouja B. (1999), The Single Period (News-vendor) Problem: Literature Review and Suggestions for Future Research, Omega, 27, 537-553.
- Kabak I.W., Shiff A.I. (1978), Inventory Models and Management Objectives, Sloan Management Review, 19, 53-59.
- Lau H. (1980), The Newsboy Problem under Alternative Optimization Objectives, Journal of Operations Research Society, 31, 393-403.
- Locke E.A., Latham G.P. eds. (2013), New Developments in Goal Setting and Task Performance, Taylor and Frances Group, New YorkLondon.
- Muller M. (2011), Essentials of Inventory Management AMACOM, a division of American Management Association.
- Osyczka A. (1984), Multicriterion Optimization in Engineering, Ellis Horwood Ltd, Chichester UK.
- Parlar M., Weng Z.K. (2003), Balancing Desirable but Conflicting Objectives in the Newsvendor Problem, IIE Transactions, 35, 131-142.
- Qin Y., Wang R., Vakharia A.J., Chen Y. (2011), The Newsvendor Problem: Review and Directions for Future Research, European Journal of Operational Research, 213, 361-374.
- Shi C.V., Guo L. (2012), Profit Target Setting for Multiple Divisions: A Newsvendor Perspective [in:] T.-M. Choi (ed.), Handbook of Newsvendor Problems, International Series in Operations Research and Management Science, New York: Springer Science + Business Media, 341-359.
- Stevenson W.J. (2009), Operations Management, 10th edition, 581.
Publication order reference