Selection of Academic Conferences Based on Analytical Network Processes
Languages of publication
Academic conferences are platforms established by scientists to provide broad access to their research. For this reason, it is important to have influential researchers presenting plenary talks and for the scientific community in that field to submit their work. Various organizations and academic institutions organize hundreds of academic conferences a year. Academics have to select conferences to attend, since it is not possible to participate in every conference. Conference selection takes into account such factors as: the registration fee, subject of the conference and its appropriateness, conference language and the deadline for submission. We consider the specific criteria that academics use to choose conferences and effective decision-making in this field. In this study, we use an approach based on analytic network processes (ANPs) to appropriately choose a conference based on multiple criteria.
- Acar S., Ünsal N.Ö. (2013), Öğretim Üyelerinin Bilimsel Kongre Tercihinde Etkili Olan Unsurları Ve E-Kongre Hazırbulunuşluk Düzeylerini Belirlemeye Yönelik Bir Araştırma, Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, Vol. 1, 191-207.
- Arslan S., Çardak M., Uysal R. (2013), Student Academic Support as Predictor of Academic Locus of Control in Turkish University Students, Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 106, 2460-2469.
- Bağ N., Özdemir N.M., Eren T. (2012), 0-1 Hedef Programlama ve ANP Yöntemi ile Hemşire Çizelgeleme Problemi Çözümü, International Journal of Engineering Research and Development, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2-6.
- Begičević N., Divjak B., Hunjak T. (2010), Decision-Making on Prioritization of Projects in Higher Education Institutions Using the Analytic Network Process Approach, Central European Journal of Operations Research, Vol. 18, No. 3, 341-364.
- Büyüközkan G., Öztürkcan D. (2010), An Integrated Analytic Approach for Six Sigma Project Selection, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 37, No. 8, 5835-5847.
- Chacko H.E., Fenich G.G. (2000), Determining the Importance of US Convention Destination Attributes, Journal of Vacation Marketing, 6(3), 211-220.
- Chen C.F. (2006), Applying the Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) Approach to Convention Site Selection, Journal of Travel Research, 45(2), 167-174.
- Cheng E.W., Li H. (2005), Analytic Network Process Applied to Project Selection, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 131, No. 4, 459-466
- Crouch G.I., Louviere J.J. (2004), The Determinants of Convention Site Selection: A Logistic Choice Model from Experimental Data, Journal of Travel Research, 43(2), 118-130.
- Dinçel D. (2011), Altı Sigma'da Proje Seçim Yöntemleri ve Bir Uygulama, Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Yüksek Lisans Tezi.
- El-Abbasy M.S., Zayed T., Ahmed M., Alzraiee H., Abouhamad M. (2013), Contractor Selection Model for Highway Projects Using Integrated Simulation and Analytic Network Process, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 139, No. 7, 755-767.
- Go F., W. Zhang (1997), Applying Importance-Performance Analysis to Beijing as an International Meeting Destination, Journal of Travel Research, 35 (4), 42-49.
- Görgülü İ., Korkmaz M., Eren T. (2013), Analytic Network Process and TOPSIS Methods with Selection of Optimal Investment Strategy, Sigma, Vol. 31, 203-213.
- Grady C.A., He X., Peeta S. (2015), Integrating Social Network Analysis with Analytic Network Process for International Development Project Selection, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 42, No. 12, 5128-5138.
- Hamurcu M., Ünal F.M., Eren T. (2015), The Solution of Shift Scheduling Problem by Using Analytic Network Process and Goal Programming Method, The International Conference on Multiple Objective Programming, 17-19 December, Tlemcen, Algeria, 13-14.
- Hamurcu M., Gür Ş., Özder E.H., Eren T. (2016a), A Multicriteria Decısıon Making for Monorail Projects with Analytic Network Process and 0-1 Goal Programming, Proceedings of ISERD International Conference, 29 May, Istanbul, Turkey, 4-8.
- Hamurcu M., Eren T. (2016b), Using ANP-TOPSIS Methods for Route Selection of Monorail in Ankara, 28th European Conference on Operational Research, July 3-6, Poznan, Poland.
- Hamurcu M., Eren T., Analitik Ağ Süreci İle Ankara'da Kentsel Ulaşım İçin Monoray Teknolojisinin Seçimi, 3rd International Symposium on Railway Systems Engineering (ISERSE' 2016), 13-15 Ekim 2016c, Karabük, Türkiye.
- Ivanović I., Grujičić D., Macura D., Jović J., Bojović N. (2013), One Approach for Road Transport Project Selection, Transport Policy, Vol. 25, 22-29.
- Jeng D.J.F., Huang K.H. (2015), Strategic Project Portfolio Selection for National Research Institutes, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 68, No. 11, 2305-2311.
- Karabacak G. (2012), Analitik Hiyerarşi Yöntemi ve Analitik Ağ Süreci İle Mühimmat Seçimi, Atatürk Üniversitesi Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Yüksek Lisans Tezi.
- Khalili-Damghani K., Sadi-Nezhad S., Tavana M. (2013), Solving multi-Period Project Selection Problems with Fuzzy Goal Programming Based on TOPSIS and a Fuzzy Preference Relation, Information Sciences, Vol. 252, 42-61.
- Kim W.G., Kim H.C. (2003), The Analysis of Seoul as an International Convention Destination, Journal of Convention and Exhibition Management, 5 (2), 69-87.
- Kozak N., Yüncü K.D. (2011), Akademisyenlerin Kongre Tercih Unsurları, Anadolu Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, Vol. 11, No. 2, 19-32.
- Lee M.J., Back K.J. (2007), Effects of Destination Image on Meeting Participation Intentions: Empirical Findings from a Professional Association and Its Annual Convention, The Service Industries Journal, 27(1), 59-73.
- Lee J.W., Kim S.H. (2000), Using Analytic Network Process and Goal Programming for Interdependent Information System Project Selection, Computers & Operations Research, Vol. 27, No. 4, 367-382.
- Lee J.W., Kim S.H. (2001), An Integrated Approach for Interdependent Information System Project Selection, International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 19, No. 2, 111-118.
- Mukherjee K., Bera A. (1995), Application of Goal Programming in Project Selection Decision - A Case Study from the Indian Coal Mining Industry, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 82, No. 1, 18-25
- Meade L.M., Presley A. (2002), R&D Project Selection Using the Analytic Network Process, Engineering Management, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 49, No. 1, 59-66.
- Ngamsom B., Beck J. (2000), A Pilot Study of Motivations, Inhibitors, and Facilitators of Association Members in Attending International Conferences, Journal of Convention & Exhibition Management, Vol. 2, No. 2-3, June, 97-111, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Onursal B. (2009), Proje Seçiminde Bulanık TOPSIS Yöntemi ile Bir Model Önerisi: İnşaat Sektörü Uygulaması, İstanbul Teknik Üniversitesi Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Doktora Tezi.
- Ortíz M.A., Felizzola H.A., Isaza S.N. (2015), A Contrast between DEMATEL-ANP and ANP Methods for Six Sigma Project Selection: A Case Study in Healthcare Industry, BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, Vol. 15, No. 3.
- Özder E., Eren T. (2016), Çok Ölçütlü Karar Verme Yöntemi Ve Hedef Programlama Teknikleri İle Tedarikçi Seçimi, Selçuk Üniversitesi Mühendislik, Bilim ve Teknoloji Dergisi, 4(3), 196-207.
- Ravi V., Shankar R., Tiwari M.K. (2008), Selection of a Reverse Logistics Project for End-of-Life Computers: ANP and Goal Programing Approach, International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 46, No. 17, 4849-4870.
- Saaty T.L. (1980), The Analytic Hierarchy Process, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Severt D., Wang Y., Chen P.-J., Breiter D. (2007), Examining the Motivation, Perceived Performance and Behavioral Intentions of Convention Attendees: Evidence from a Regional Conference, Tourism Management, 28, 399-408.
- Tavana M., Keramatpour M., Santos-Arteaga F.J., Ghorbaniane E. (2015), A Fuzzy Hybrid Project Portfolio Selection Method Using Data Envelopment Analysis, TOPSIS and Integer Programming, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 42, No. 22, 8432-8444.
- Tripathy B.B., Biswal M.P. (2007), A Zero-One Goal Programming Approach for Project Selection, Journal of Information and Optimization Sciences, Vol. 28, No. 4, 619-626.
- Tuzkaya U.R., Yolver E. (2015), R&D Project Selection by Integrated Grey Analytic Network Process and Grey Relational Analysis: An Implementation for Home Appliances Company, Journal of Aeronautics and Space Technologies, Vol. 8, No. 2, 35-41.
- Wang W.M., Lee A.H., Peng L.P., Wu Z.L. (2013), An Integrated Decision Making Model for District Revitalization and Regeneration Project Selection, Decision Support Systems, Vol. 54, No. 2, 1092-1103.
- Wey W.M., Wu K.Y. (2007), Using ANP Priorities with Goal Programming in Resource Allocation in Transportation, Mathematical and Computer Modeling, Vol. 46, No. 7, 985-1000.
- Yüncü D., Kozak N. (2010), Türk akademisyenlerin kongre tercihleri üzerine bir araştırma, Anatolia: Turizm Araştırmaları Dergisi, Vol. 21, No. 1, 109-120.
Publication order reference