Gmach poczty we Wrocławiu-Leśnicy jako siedziba urzędu państwowego Rzeszy w latach 1894-1929
The Post Office building in Wrocław-Leśnica as the headquarters of Reich Government Agency in the years 1894-1929
Languages of publication
The article concerns the conditions surrounding the Post Office building in Leśnica, in the suburbs of Wrocław (currently a part of Wrocław) erected in 1894-1896 then enlarged in 1928-1929 in context of the development of Post Office construction throughout the German Reich, which from the architectural standpoint and concerning building size was highly standardised throughout the state. Using materials from the archives the decision-making process concerning the construction, reconstruction, expansion and normal use of the building was recreated. There were also attempts to establish to what extent the building in question met with standards of the time whereas the functional, aesthetic and ideological aspects were concerned. Whereas the functional aspect was concerned the issue was of topographical localisation within the city, as well as how its size and chamber configuration suited the required use. Whereas the aesthetic and ideological issues were concerned there was a problem of conforming the building to the style forms befitting both the statue of a government building and the surrounding architecture of elegant manors. The issue was resolved due to analysis of relevant iconographic frames and communication with Post Offices of Leśnica and well-known Post Office construction architects from Wrocław and Berlin as well as Eduard Freytag, a private investor and constructor. Resulting from these actions was a building project which was a model example of Post Office architecture at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.
Publication order reference