Using multi-objective affinity model for mining the rules of revisits within 72 hours for emergency department patients
Languages of publication
When patients return to the emergency department (ED) within 72 hours after their previous ED discharge, it is generally assumed that their initial evaluation or treatment had been somehow inadequate. Mining data related to unplanned ED revisits is one method to determine whether this problem can be overcome, and to generate useful guidelines in this regard. In this study, we use the receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve to compare the data mining model by affinity set to other well known approaches. Some scholars have validated the affinity model for its simplicity and power in handling information systems especially when showing binary consequences. In experimental results, SVM showed the best performance, with the affinity model following only slightly behind. This study demonstrated that when patients visit the ED with normotensive status or smooth breath patterns, or when the physician-patient ratio is moderate, the frequency with which patients revisit the ED is significantly higher.
- Aaland M.O., Smith K. (1996), Delayed Diagnosis in a Rural Trauma Centre, Surgery 120, 774-9.
- Abu-Hanna A., de Keizer N. (2003), Integrating Classification Trees with Local Logistic Regression in Intensive Care Prognosis, Artificial Intelligence Medicine, 29, 5-23.
- Achenbach P., Koczwara K., Knopff A., Naserke H., Ziegler A.G., Bonifacio E. (2004), Mature Highaffinity Immune Responses to (Pro)insulin Anticipate the Autoimmune Cascade that Leads to Type 1 Diabetes, Clin Invest., 114, 589-97.
- Aguilar-Ruiz J.S., Costa R., Divina F. (2004), Knowledge Discovery from Doctor-patient Relationship, Proceedings of SAC ’04, March 14-17, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Alanazi H.O., Abdullah A.H., Larbani M. (2013), A Critical Review for Developing Affinity Set Method for Multi Classification and Prediction, International Journal of Computer Science Engineering and Technology 3, 394-5.
- Bazzani A., Bevilacqua A., Bollini D. et al. (2001), An SVM Classifier to Separate False Signals from Microcalcifications in Digital Mammogram, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 46, 1651-63.
- Berman J.J. (2002), Confidentiality Issues for Medical Data Miners, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine 26, 25-36.
- Brooksa A., Holroydb B., Riley B. (2004), Missed Injury in Major Trauma Patients, Injury, Int. J. Care Injured, 35, 407-10.
- Brossette S.E., Sprague A.P., Hardin J.M., Waites K.B., Jones W.T., Moser S.A. (1998), Association Rules and Data Mining in-hospital Infection-control and Public-health Surveillance, Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 5, 373-81.
- Burke H.B., Goodman P.H., Rosen D.B., Henson D.E., Weinstein J.N., Harrell Jr F.E. et al. (1997), Artificial Neural Networks Improve the Accuracy of Cancer Survival Prediction, Cancer, 79, 857-62.
- Burke H.B., Rosen D.B., Goodman P.H. (1995), Comparing the Prediction Accuracy of Artificial Neural Networks and Other Statistical Models for Breast Cancer Survival [in:] G. Tesauro, D. Touretzky, T. Leen (eds.), Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, Vol. 7, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1063-7.
- Cattell V. (2001), Poor People, Poor Places, and Poor Health: The Mediating Role of Social Networks and Social Capital, Social Science & Medicine, 52, 1501-1516.
- Chen Y.W., Larbani M., Hsieh C.Y., Chen C.W. (2009), Introduction of Affinity Set and Its Application in Data Mining Example of Delayed Diagnosis, Expert Systems with Applications, 36, 10883-9.
- Chang C.L., Chen C.H. (2009), Applying Decision Tree and Neural Network to Increase Quality of Dermatologic Diagnosis, Expert Systems with Applications, 36, 4035-41.
- Collett D. (2003), Modeling Binary Data, Chapman & Hall/CRC.
- Corne D., Dhaenens C., Jourdan L. (2012), Synergies between Operations Research and Data Mining: The Emerging Use of Multi-objective Approaches, European Journal of Operational Research, 221, 469-79.
- Cortes C., Vapnik V. (1995), Support-Vector Networks, Machine Learning, 20, 273-97.
- Delen D., Walker G., Kadam A. (2005), Predicting Breast Cancer Survivability: A Comparison of Three Data Mining Methods, Aritificial Intelligence in Medicine, 34, 113-27.
- Delgado M., Sanchez D., Martin-Bautista M.J., Vila M.A. (2001), Mining Association Rules with Improved Semantics in Medical Databases, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 21, 241-5.
- Doig G.S., Inman K.J., Sihhald W.J., Mattm C.M., Rohetrson J.M. (1993), Modeling Mortality in the Intensive Care Unit: Comparing the Performance of a Hack-propagation, Associative-learning Neural Network with Multivariate Logistic Regression, Proceedings of the Seventeenth Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care, McGraw-Hill, Inc., Washington, DC, 361-5.
- Esfandiaria N., Babavaliana M.R., Moghadama A.E., Tabarb V.K. (2014), Knowledge Discovery in Medicine: Current Issue and Future Trend, Expert Systems with Applications, 41, 4434-63.
- Freitas A.A. (2004), A Critical Review of Multi-Objective Optimization in Data Mining: A Position Paper, SIGKDD Explorations, 6, 77-86.
- Freitas A.A. (2008), A Review of Evolutionary Algorithms for Data Mining [in:] O. Maimon, L. Rokach (eds.), Soft Computing for Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Springer Verlag, 79-111.
- Furnival R.A., Woodward G.A., Schunk J.E. (1996), Delayed Diagnosis of Injury in Pediatric Trauma, Pediatrics, 98, 56-62.
- Gestel T. van, Suykens J.A.K., Baesens B., Viaene S., Vanthienen J., Dedene G., Moor B., Vandewalle J. (2004), Benchmarking Least Squares Support Vector Machine Classifiers, Journal of Machine Learning Research, 54, 5-32.
- Gordon J.A., An L.C., Hayward R.A. et al. (1998), Initial Emergency Department Diagnosis and Return Visits: Risk versus Perception, Ann Emerg Med, 32, 569-73.
- Grupe F.H., Owrang M.M. (1995), Data Base Mining Discovery New Knowledge and Cooperative Advantage, Information System Management, 12, 26-31.
- Hanlon J.J., Pickette G.E. (1979), Public Health Administration and Practice, CV Mosby Co., 711.
- Hirono S., Tsumoto S. (2005), Rough Representation of a Region of Interest in Medical Images, International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, 40, 23-34.
- Hu S.C. (1992), Analysis of Patients Revisits to the Emergency Department, Am J Emerg Med, 10, 366-70.
- Hunt J., Cooke D. (1995), An Adaptive, Distributed Learning System, Based on Immune System, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics 1995, 2494-9.
- Kohn L.T., Corrigan J.M., Donaldson M.S. (1999), To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System, Washington D.C.
- Kuo R.J., Shih C.W. (2007), Association Rule Mining through the Ant Colony System for National Health Insurance Research Database in Taiwan, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 54, 1303-18.
- Larbani M., Chen Y.W. (2009), A Fuzzy Framework for the Concept of Affinity, Applied Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 3, No. 7, 297-316.
- Lavarc N. (1999), Selected Techniques for Data Mining in Medicine, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 16, 3-23.
- Leape L.L., Brennan T.A., Laird N., Lawthers A.G., Localio A.R., Barnes B.A., Hebert L., Newhouse J.P., Weiler P.C., Hiatt H. (1991), Incidence of Adverse Events and Negligence in Hospitalized Patients. Results of the Harvard Medical Practice Study I, The New England Journal of Medicine, 324, 370-6.
- Marcantonio E.R., Sylvia McKean S.M., Goldfinger M., Kleefield S., Yurkofsky M., Brennan T.A. (1999), Factors Associated with Unplanned Hospital Readmission among Patients 65 Years of Age and Older in a Medicare Managed Care Plan, The American Journal of Medicine, 107(1), 13-17.
- Matejtshuk P. (eds.) (1997), Affinity Separation: A Practical Approach, Oxford University Press.
- Meyfroidt G., Güiza F., Ramon J., Bruynooghe M. (2009), Machine Learning Techniques to Examine Large Patient Databases, Best Practice & Research Clinical Anesthesiology, 23, 127-43.
- Michnik J., Michnik A., Pietuch B. (2008), Credit Scoring Model Based on the Affinity Set, Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, 14-16, June, Barcelona, Spain.
- Mugambi E.M., Hunter A., Oatley G., Kennedy L. (2004), Polynomial-fuzzy Decision Tree Structures for Classifying Medical Data, Knowledge-Based Systems, 17, 81-7.
- Nuñez S., Hexdall A., Aguirre-Jaime A. (2006), Unscheduled Returns to the Emergency Department: An Outcome of Medical Errors? Qual Saf Health Care, 15, 102-8.
- Paoin W. (2011), Lessons Learned from Data Mining of WHO Mortality Database, Methods of Information in Medicine, 50, 380-5.
- Pawlak Z. (1991), Rough Sets. Theoretical Aspects of Reasoning about Data, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Pierce J.M., Kellerman A.L., Oster C. (1990), Bounces: An Analysis of Short-term Return Visits to a Public Hospital Emergency Department, Ann Emerg Med, 19, 752-7.
- Spackman K.A. (1991), Maximum Likelihood Training of Connectionist Models: Comparison with Least Squares Hack-propagation and Logistic Regression, Proc Annu Symp Comput Appl Med Care, 285-9.
- Steuer R.E. (1986), Multiple Criteria Optimization: Theory, Computation and Applications, John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Tu J.V. (1996), Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Artificial Neural Networks versus Logistic Regression for Predicting Medical Outcomes, J Clin Epidemid, 49, 1225-31.
- Ve-McConnell (1999), Who Is My Neighbor? Social Affinity in a Modern World, State University of New York Press.
- Wei G.L., Liu X.L., Li J.H., Liu Y., Shang Z.H. (2002), Endotoxin Removal in Some Medicines and Human Serum Albumin Solution by Affinity Membrane, Chinese Journal of Chromatography, 23, 108-14.
- Wu C.H., Li W.T., Hsu C.C., Li C.H., Fang C.I., Wu C.H. (2009), A Novel Multi-objective Affinity Set Classification System: An Investigation of Delayed Diagnosis Detection, Proceeding of Intelligent Information and Database Systems, 1-3, 289-94.
- Wu C.L., Wang F.T., Chiang Y.C., Chiu Y.F., Lin T.G., Fu L.F., Tsai T.L. (2008), Unplanned Emergency Department Revisits within 72 Hours to a Secondary Teaching Referral Hospital in Taiwan, The Journal of Emergency Medicine, 38, 512-517.
- Wilk S.Z., Słowinski R., Michałowski W., Greco S. (2005), Supporting Triage of Children with Abdominal Pain in the Emergency Room, European Journal of Operational Research, 160, 696-709.
- Zadeh L.A. (1965), Fuzzy Sets, Information and Control, 8, 338-53.
- Zbikowski R., Hunt K.J. (ed.) (1996), Neural Adaptive Control Technology, World Scientific.
- Zinkhan G.M. (2002), Relationship Marketing: Theory and Implementation, Journal of Market-Focused Management, 5, 83-9.
- Zweig M.H., Campbell G. (1993), Receiver-operating Characteristic (ROC) Plots: A Fundamental Evaluation Tool in Clinical Medicine, Clinical Chemistry, 39, 561-77.
Publication order reference