THE BEGINNINGS OF THE PREŠOV GREEK CATHOLIC EPARCHY DURING THE EPISCOPACY OF ITS FIRST BISHOP GREGOR TARKOVIČ
Languages of publication
The Greek Catholic Eparchy of Prešov was canonically erected by Pope Pius VII on September 22, 1818. From its inception until 1841, the eparchy was administered by Bishop Gregor Tarkovič upon whose shoulders rested a great responsibility for the organization of the newly erected eparchy. Over the course of his episcopacy, Bishop Tarkovič secured the establishment of all essential eparchial institutions: the bishop’s office, the Chapter, the eparchial archives, the library, etc. Bishop Tarkovič also greatly contributed to resolution of several economic and financial issues concerning the overall administration of his eparchy. Above all, worth noting is his effort in obtaining benefices and establishment of proper eparchial funds. The article introduces the journey of Bishop Tarkovič that was dominated by his undying love for learning, diligence and yearning for solitary and ascetic life. Despite this composition of his being, Bishop Tarkovič will be remembered for his remarkable achievements in laying sound foundations for the future direction and development of the Greek Catholic Eparchy of Prešov.
176 - 186
Publication order reference