PL EN


2016 | 20 | 2 | 6 - 22
Article title

HLOHOVEC VO VÍRE VOJENSKÝCH UDALOSTÍ PO PÁDE VEĽKEJ MORAVY DO KONCA 13. STOROČIA

Authors
Title variants
EN
Hlohovec in the turmoil of military events from the fall of Great Moravia until 1467
Languages of publication
SK
Abstracts
EN
In the introduction of the study, the author addresses the localization of the Hlohovec Castle, which is still debatable and cannot be determined definitely. The author claims that this is only caused by the progress of archaeological research and its localization will be solved by the future archaeological investigation in this area. He also notes that several historians have assumed that the Hlohovec Castle, first mentioned in writing in 1113, was standing at the place of an old Slavic settlement. In the era mentioned by Anonymus, the Hlohovec Castle was not only a fortress but also the administrative centre of the territory. Therefore, the Old Hungarians have already found a highly developed administrative organization here. Instead of revoking it, they took a hold of it, seized it and continued running many of the existing administrative centres in the territory under their own rule. Furthermore, the author analyses the period of 11th to 13th century, when the administration of royal property, military organization as well as the state and judicial power used to be seated at county castles such as the one in Hlohovec. The county system originated as the means of organizing the large royal (formerly princely) property, which in many ways grew from the older Great Moravian tradition. The county Hlohovec Castle was a military fortress capable of resisting even long-term siege. It prevented the enemy forces to make an advance deeper inside the country. Its fortification was probably made of timber-and-earth mounds, several meters broad, providing sufficient protection against invaders. The only disadvantage was that the attackers could set them on fire. After the Tatars had left the country (1241 – 1242), the county Hlohovec Castle, as the centre of the small border county, was rebuilt from timber-and-earth fortification to a solid stone castle. The paper further contains description of the military events in 1271 – 1280.
Year
Volume
20
Issue
2
Pages
6 - 22
Physical description
Contributors
author
References
Document Type
Publication order reference
Identifiers
YADDA identifier
bwmeta1.element.cejsh-bd26d7af-904e-49cc-9116-8c93d8b2680c
JavaScript is turned off in your web browser. Turn it on to take full advantage of this site, then refresh the page.