Management of innovation projects in SMEs in the Czech Republic
Languages of publication
There is prevailing understanding that large companies are mostly inclined to using sophisticated innovation management processes as well as other management tools like project portfolio management while SMEs are believed to take advantage of more simple and often intuitive approaches to innovation processes management. Therefore methodologies of Monte Carlo simulation (MC), Stage Gate Control Process (SGCP) and Post- -implementation review (PIR) were reprocessed into more simplistic implementation models so as to prove that these methods can be operated even by routine staffs in Czech SMEs. All the test performed proved that the applications of aforementioned methods increased the effectiveness of innovation projects management and generated added value for shareholders.
- Ates A., Garengo P., Cocca P., Bititci U. (2013): The Development of SME Managerial Practice for Effective Performance Management. “Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development”, Vol. 20(1), pp. 28-54.
- Barringer B.B., Gresock A.R. (2008): Formalizing the Front-End of the Entrepreneurial Process Using the Stage-Gate Model as a Guide. “Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development”, Vol. 15(2), pp. 289-303.
- Bobůrková E. (2009): Super výdělek ze slunce. “Ekonom”, nr 26- 27, p. 30-31.
- Cooper R.G. (1986): Winning at New Products. Addison Wesley, Reading, MA.
- Cooper R.G. (1990): Stage-Gate Systems: A New Tool for Managing New Products. “Business Horizons”, Vol. 33(3), pp. 44-54.
- Cooper R.G. (2008): Perspective: The Stage‐Gate® Idea‐to‐Launch Process − Update, What’s New, and NexGen systems. “Journal of Product Innovation Management”, Vol. 25(3), pp. 213-232.
- Cooper R.G., Edgett S.J., Kleinschmidt E.J. (2002): Optimizing the Stage-Gate® Process: What Best Practice Companies are Doing (Part One). “Research Technology Management”, Vol. 45(5), pp. 21-27.
- Damodaran R. (2015): Local Businesses Can Compete with Global Firms. “New Straits Times” July 13, No. 4.
- Donath B. (2001): Big-Time Product Development for Small Biz, “Marketing News”. Vol. 35(15), 7
- Downs P.W., Kondolf G.M. (2002): Post-Project Appraisals in Adaptive Management of River Channel Restoration. “Environmental Management”, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 477-496.
- Drucker P.F. (2008): The Essential Drucker. Reissue edition, Harper Business, New York
- Fotr J., Švecová L., Špaček M. (2009): Postaudits as a Tool of Learning. “Ekonomický časopis”, Vol. 577 (7), pp. 633-652.
- Frank H., Roessl D. (2015): Problematization and Conceptualization of “Entrepreneurial SME Management” as a Field of Research: Overcoming the Size-Based Approach. “Review of Managerial Science”, Vol. 9(2), pp. 225-240.
- Howieson J., Lawley M., Selen W. (2014): New Product Development in Small Food Enterprises. “Journal of New Business Ideas & Trends”, pp. 11-26.
- Koller G. (2005): Risk Assessment and Decision Making in Business and Industry. A Practical Guide. Second Edition, Chapman & Hall − CRC Press, London.
- Ladzani W., Smith N., Pretorius L. (2010): The Impact of Leadership and Strategic Planning on Management Performance of SME’s in the Built Environment. ICSB World Conference Proceedings, June 24-27, Cincinnati, Ohio, pp. 1-27.
- Leithold N., Haase H., Lautenschläger A. (2015): Stage-Gate for SMEs: A Qualitative Study in Germany. “European Journal of Innovation Management”, Vol. 18(2), pp. 130-149.
- Liu H.T., Liu C. (2006): Valuation of SME’s Innovation Investment through Real Options Method. “Proceedings of the 8th West Lake International Conference on SMB”, pp. 1342-1345.
- Madhusudhan V., Sankar V. (2007): Composite Power System Reliabiligy Evaluation Using Monte Carlo Methods – A Comparative Study. “Manager’s Journal on Future Engineering and Technology”, Vol. 2.4, pp. 39-49.
- Mañez J.A. Rochina-Barrachina M.E., Mañez J.A., Sanchis A., Sanchis J.A. (2013): Do Process Innovation Boost SMEs Productivity Growth? “Empirical Economics”, Vol. 44, pp. 1373-1405.
- Mellor R. (2015): Computer-Modelling the Innovation-Based Theory of the Firm. “Proceedings of the 16th European Conference on Knowledge Management (ECKM)”, pp. 532-538.
- Merriam S.B. (1998): Qualitative Research and Case Study Application in Education. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA.
- Morrison A. (2003): SME Management and Leadership Development: Market Reorientation. “The Journal of Management Development”, Vol. 22(9/10), pp. 796-808.
- Pitman B. (2003): Leading for Value. “Harvard Business Review”, Vol. 81(4), pp. 41-46.
- Roberts E.B. (2007): Managing Invention and Innovation. “Research-Technology Management”, Vol. 50, pp. 35-54.
- Rochina-Barrachina M.E., Mañez J.A., Sanchiz-Llopis J.A. (2010): Process Innovations and Firm Productivity Growth. “Small Business Economics”, Vol. 34, pp. 147-166.
- Rosenbusch N., Brinckmann J., Bausch A. (2011): Is Innovation Always Beneficial? A Meta-Analysis of the Relationship between Innovation and Performance in SMEs. “Journal of Business Venturing”, Vol. 26(4), pp. 441-457.
- Stake R. (1995): The Art of Case Study Research. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Špaček M. (2009): Pravděpodobnostní přístupy k analyze rizik investičních projektů. Doctoral thesis, University of Economics in Prague, Prague.
- Špaček M. (2012): Stage Gate Control Process And Its Creative Adaptation to the Management of Innovations in Generic Pharmaceutical Business. In: Proceedings International Days of Statistics and Economics (MSED). VŠE, Melandrium.
- Teece D.J. (2007): Explicating Dynamic Capabilities: The Nature and Microfoundations of (Sustainable) Enterprise Performance. “Strategic Management Journal”, Vol. 28, pp. 1319-1350.
- Witt B. de, Meyer R. (2014): Strategy an International Perspective. Cengage Learning EMEA, Andower.
- Wright J.F. (2002): Monte Carlo Risk Analysis and Due Diligence of New Business Venture. AMACOM, New York.
- Wuest T., Liu A., Lu S.C.-Y., Thoben K.-D. (2014): Application of the Stage Gate Model in Production Supporting Quality Management. Proceedings of the 47th CIRP Conference on Manufacturing Systems, Windsor, Ontario.
- Yazan B. (2015): Three Approaches to Case Study Methods in Education: Yin, Merriam and Stake. “The Qualitative Report”, Vol. 20(2), pp. 134-152.
- Yin R.K. (2014), Case Study Research: Design and Methods. 5th ed., SAGE Publications, Thousand Oakes.
- [www 1] www.oracle.com (access: 11.02.2016).
Publication order reference