Structural Analysis of Problems in Public Relations
Languages of publication
The literature on the activities of public relations (PR) is getting richer. Also, numerous empirical studies on the PR process, methods and techniques are conducted, as well as analyses on the effectiveness of PR and ethics in this field. There is a relatively small number of studies that examine decision-making processes by PR practitioners. Despite numerous discussions on the issue of decision-making, methods of decision making in public relations are not a subject of research and debate. Most decisions in this area are probably made unsystematically and in a very individual way. However, the introduction of effective methods, proven in other areas, which support decision making practice related to communication processes, can help to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the organization in the field of building relationships with the stakeholders. The authors show how the use of cognitive maps and the WINGS method can help PR consultants to choose a PR strategy in situations which can seriously jeopardize the organization's reputation.
- Adamus-Matuszyńska A. (2008), Dylematy etyczne specjalistów public relations w procesie zarządzania kryzysem, Prakseologia, 148.
- Bouyssou D., Marchant T., Pirlot M., Tsoukiàs A., Vincke P. (2006), Evaluation and Decision Models with Multiple Criteria: Stepping Stones for the Analyst, 1st ed. International Series in Operations Research and Management Science, Vol. 86, Springer, Boston.
- Bowen S.A. (1995), A Practical Model for Ethical Decision Making in Issues Management and Public Relations, Journal of Public Relations Research, 17(3), 191-216.
- Eden C. (2004), Analyzing Cognitive Maps to Help Structure Issues or Problems, European Journal of Operational Research, 159, No. 3, 673-686.
- Fitzpatrick K.R. (1995), Ten Guidelines for Reducing Legal Risks in Crisis Management, Public Relations Quaterly, 40 (20), 33-38.
- Goban-Klas T. (1999), Media i komunikowanie masowe. Teorie i analizy prasy, radia, telewizji i Internetu, Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, Warszawa.
- Greenwood C.A. (2010), Evolutionary Theory: The Missing Link for Conceptualizing Public Relations, Journal of Public Relations Research, 22 (4), 456-476 .
- Grunig J.E., Hunt T. (1984), Managing Public Relations, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich College Publishers, San Diego.
- Grunig J.E. (1993), Implications of Public Relations Research for Other Domains of Communication, Journal of Communication, 43, 164-173.
- Grunig J.E. (2001), Two-way Symmetrical Public Relations: Past, Present, and Future [in:] R.L. Heath (ed.), Handbook of Public Relations, Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks.
- Haugland A. (1996), Public Relations Theory and Democratic Theory, The Public, Vol. 3/4.
- Hall R.I. (2002), Gaining Understanding in a Complex Cause-effect Policy Domain [in:] A.S. Huff, M. Jenkins (eds.), Mapping Strategic Knowledge, SAGE, 89-111.
- Heath R.L. (2000), A Rhetorical Enactment Rationale for Public Relations: The Good Organization Communicating Well [in:] R.L. Heath (ed.), Handbook of Public Relations, Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, London.
- Ihlen O. (2008), Mapping the Environment for Corporate Social Responsibility. Stakeholders, Publics and the Public Sphere, Corporate Communications: An International Journal, Vol. 13, No. 2, 135-146.
- Invernizzi E., Romenti S. (2011), Strategic Communications and Decision-Making Process. Toward the Communication Oriented Organisation, Academicus - International Scientific Journal, 3, 12-27.
- Kang J.-A. (2010), Ethical Conflict and Job Satisfaction of Public Relations Practitioner, Public Relations Review, 36, 152-156.
- Kaveh A. (2013), Introduction to Graph Theory and Algebraic Graph Theory [in:] Optimal Analysis of Structures by Concepts of Symmetry and Regularity, Springer, Vienna, 15-35.
- Kosko B. (1986), Fuzzy Cognitive Maps, International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, 24, No. 1, 65-75.
- L'Etang J. (2006), Public Relations and Rhetoric [in:] J. L'Etang & M. Pieczka (eds.), Public Relations Critical Debates and Contemporary Practice, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, New Jersey, 331-359.
- Lee J., Jares S.M., Heath R.L. (1999), Decision-Making Encroachment and Cooperative Relationships between Public Relations and Legal Counselors in the Management of Organizational Crisis, Journal of Public Relations Research, 11 (3), 243-270.
- Luhmann N. (2005), The Paradox of Decision Making [in:] D. Seidl and K.H. Becker (eds.), Niklas Luhmann and Organization Studies, Copenhagen Business School Press, Copenhagen.
- Michnik J. (2013a), Weighted Influence Non-linear Gauge System (WINGS) - An Analysis Method for the Systems of Interrelated Components, European Journal of Operational Research, 228, No. 3, 536-544.
- Michnik J. (2013b), Wielokryterialne metody wspomagania decyzji w procesie innowacji, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego, Katowice.
- Michnik J. (2014), Multiple Criteria Choice of R&D Organization with the Aid of Structural Methods, Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Vol. 9, 72-84.
- Montibeller G. and Belton V. (2006), Causal Maps and the Evaluation of Decision Options - A Review, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 57(7), 779-791.
- Montibeller G., Belton V., Ackermann F. and Ensslin L. (2008), Reasoning Maps for Decision Aid: An Integrated Approach for Problem-Structuring and Multi-criteria Evaluation, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 59(5), 575-589.
- Mykkanen M., Tempere K. (2014), Organizational Decision Making: The Luhmannian Decisions Communication Perspective, Journal of Business Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 4, 131-146.
- Pieczka M. (2006), Paradigms, Systems Theory, and Public Relations [in:] J. L'Etang & M. Pieczka (eds.), Public Relations Critical Debates and Contemporary Practice, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, New Jersey, 333-357.
- Pratt C.B. (1994), Research Progress in Public Relations Ethics: An Overview, Public Relations Review, 20, 217-224.
- Roberts F.S. (1976), The Questionnaire Method [in:] R. Axelrod (ed.), Structure of Decision: The Cognitive Maps of Political Elites, Princeton University Press, Princeton, 333-342.
- Rühl M. (2008), Public Relations Methodology. Should We Bother (If It Exists?) [in:] B. van Ruler, A.T. Verčič, D. Verčič (eds.), Public Relations Metrics. Research and Evaluation, Routledge, New York, 21-35.
- Saaty T.L. (2005), Theory and Applications of the Analytic Network Process. Decision Making with Benefits, Opportunities, Costs and Risks, RWS Publications, Pittsburgh.
- Seidl D., Becker K.H. (2006), Organizations as Distinction Generating and Processing Systems: Niklas Luhmann's Contribution to Organization Studies, Organization, 13.
- Wijnmalen D.J.D. (2007), Analysis of Benefits, Opportunities, Costs, and Risks (BOCR) with the AHP-ANP: A Critical Validation, Mathematical and Computer Modelling (Decision Making with the Analytic Hierarchy Process and the Analytic Network Process), 46(7-8), 892-905.
- Wojcik K. (2013), Public relations. Wiarygodny dialog z otoczeniem, Oficyna a Wolters Kluwer business, Warszawa.
Publication order reference