A concept for measuring effectiveness of communication in project teams
Languages of publication
Aim/purpose – The aim of the paper is to introduce a concept for measuring effectiveness of communication in project teams, taking into account 19 effectiveness aspects which enables to evaluate individual communication effectiveness of each team member, the overall communication effectiveness of a team or organization and to compare teams or organizations for communication effectiveness. The results of a small scale study serve as a proof of the proposed concept comprising the questionnaire and the way of presenting its results. Design/methodology/approach – First, a list of communication effectiveness aspects is proposed, based on a literature review. They are additionally grouped into aspects dependent on the sender, the recipient, and both. On the basis of the identified communication effectiveness aspects a questionnaire for measuring the level of communication effectiveness is prepared and the way of presenting its results is demonstrated on a small scale research sample. The case study is used to validate the presented concept. Findings – The developed questionnaire, based on the identified communication effectiveness aspects, together with the proposed form of presenting its results can be successfully applied to evaluate individual communication effectiveness of specific team members, the overall communication effectiveness of a team or organization and to compare teams or organizations for communication effectiveness. Research implications/limitations – The presented concept enables a graphically enriched assessment of communication effectiveness of individual team members, whole teams or organizations and also brings to the attention of the respondents the various aspects which influence communication effectiveness. It should be, however, noted that the results of the questionnaire base on the declarations of the respondents, which makes them subjective. Originality/value/contribution – The proposed concept of measuring communication effectiveness can be used as a tool for enhancing the communication effectiveness in project teams where some flaws or infirmities are observed. It constitutes a comprehensive way of tackling this problem by addressing an extensive list of communication effectiveness aspects and provides clear and meaningful tools of presenting the results.
- Adu, J. (2004). Communication in the delivery of projects in multicultural environments. Doctoral dissertation, University of Technology, Sydney. Retrieved from https:// opus.lib.uts.edu.au/handle/10453/20173
- Affare, M. A. W. (2012). An assessment of project communication management on construction projects in Ghana. Master of Business Administration thesis, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana. Retrieved from http://ir.knust.edu.gh/xmlui/handle/123456789/4897
- Ahimbisibwe, A., & Nangoli, S. (2012). Using the behavioural factors to explain perceived project performance of Ugandan citizenship projects: A multivariate analysis. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(10), 208-224.
- Aidoo, B. M., Aigbavboa, C. O., & Thwala, W. D. (2015). Project communication within small and medium-sized construction firms. Proceedings of The 4th World Construction Symposium 2015, 404-409.
- Barakat, T. A. H. (2009). A hybrid model of communication and information management in mega construction projects in Dubai using a new critical success factor approach. Doctoral dissertation, Loughborough University, UK. Retrieved from https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/dspace-jspui/handle/2134/6384
- Bond-Barnard, T. J., Steyn, H., & Fabris-Rotelli, I. (2013). The impact of a call centre on communication in a programme and its projects. International Journal of Project Management, 31, 1006-1016. doi: 10.1016/ j.ijproman.2012.12.012
- Bourne, L. (2016). Targeted communication: The key to effective stakeholder engagement. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 226, 431-438. doi: 10.1016/ j.sbspro.2016.06.208
- Burger, M. (2013). Project management in the built environment: The need for industry specific knowledge. Doctoral dissertation, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein. Retrieved from http://scholar.ufs.ac.za:8080/xmlui/handle/11660/1457
- Butt, A., Naaranoja, M., & Savolainen, J. (2016). Project change stakeholder communication. International Journal of Project Management, 34(8), 1579-1595. doi: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2016.08.010
- Čulo, K., & Skendrović, V. (2010). Communication management is critical for project success. Informatologia, 43(3), 228-235.
- Freeman, J. (2016). Effective construction project communications. Doctoral dissertation, University of Cape Town, South Africa. Retrieved from https://open.uct.ac.za /handle/11427/20714
- Gutierrez, A. (2008). Selected collaboration tools that address the communication challenges faced by virtual team leaders. Master thesis, University of Oregon, OR. Retrieved from https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/xmlui/handle/1794/7655
- Holzmann, V., & Globerson, S. (2003). Evaluating communication effectiveness in a project environment. PMI® Global Congress 2003 - EMEA, The Hague, South Holland, The Netherlands. Newtown Square, PA: Project Management Institute.
- Ikechukwu, A. C., Fidelis, I. E., & Celestine, O. A. (2017). Effective communication as a panacea for conflict avoidance in public building construction project delivery. International Journal of Advanced Research in Engineering & Management, 3(3), 38-53.
- Khabiqheya, K. (2017). An evaluation of communication tools in a hierarchical training institution: The case of a police academy in the Western Cape. Doctoral dissertation, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa. Retrieved from http://etd.cput.ac.za/handle/20.500.11838/2544
- Liapaki, A. G. (2013). Improve communication quality: A challenge in Greek shipping companies. Master thesis, City University of Seattle, WA. Retrieved from http:// okeanis.lib.puas.gr/xmlui/handle/123456789/59
- Liu, G., & Li, H. (2017). Project management and planning. In Offshore Platform Integration and Floatover Technology. Springer Tracts in Civil Engineering (pp. 153- 189). Singapore: Springer. doi: 10.1007/978-981-10-3617-0_7
- Lys, O. (2015). Planning project communications: How it works? Master thesis, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm. Retrieved from http://kth.diva-portal. org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2 827853&dswid=-8467
- Meid, A. (2014). An engineering management analysis of communication management systems in an organization that supplies the mining industry. Doctoral dissertation, University of Johannesburg, South Africa. Retrieved from https://ujcontent.uj.ac. za/vital/access/manager/Repository/uj:13622
- Mnkandla, E. (2013). A review of communication tools and techniques for successful ICT projects. The African Journal of Information Systems, 6(1), 1-8.
- Muszyńska, K. (2017). Patterns of communication management in project teams. In E. Ziemba (Ed.), Information technology for management. New ideas and real solutions. 14th Conference, AITM 2016 and 11th Conference ISM 2016, held as Part of FedCSIS Gdańsk, Poland. Revised Selected Papers (pp. 202-221). Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, Vol. 277, Berlin: Springer International Publishing AG. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-53076-5_11
- Nangoli, S. (2010). Project communication, individual commitment, social networks and perceived project performance: A study of citizenship projects in selected commercial banks. Doctoral dissertation, Makerere University, Kampala. Retrieved from http://makir.mak.ac.ug/handle/10570/2397
- Nangoli, S., Namagembe, S., Ntayi, J. M., & Ngoma, M. (2012). Towards building project- stakeholder commitment: Case study - citizenship projects in Uganda. World Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, 8(4), 233-245. doi: 10.1108/20425961211276615
- Natu, A., & Kennedy, D. (2012). A simulation study of project management and collaborative information technologies. Proceedings of the Eighteenth Americas Conference on Information Systems, Seattle, 1-9.
- Ozierańska, A., Skomra, A., Kuchta, D., & Rola, P. (2016). The critical factors of Scrum implementation in IT project - the case study. Journal of Economics and Management 25(3), 79-96. doi: 10.22367/jem.2016.25.06
- Rajkumar, S. (2010). Art of communication in project management. PMI® Research Conference: Defining the future of project management, Washington, DC. Newtown Square, PA: Project Management Institute.
- Ssenyange, K., Katerega, Y. N., Masaba, A. K., & Sebunya, A. (2017). Project communication a dimension for improved project performance: The case of selected public university projects. Journal of Resources Development and Management, 30, 77-84.
- Streich, R., & Brennholt, J. (2015). Communication in projects. In Applied Psychology for Project Managers (pp. 53-72). Berlin-Heidelberg: Springer.
- Szyjewski, G., & Fabisiak, L. (2017). Survey as a source of low quality research data. M. Ganzha, L. Maciaszek, M. Paprzycki (Eds.), Proceedings of the 2017 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems (Vol. 11, pp. 939-943). New Jersey, NJ: ACSIS,. doi: 10.15439/2017F266
- Taleb, H., Ismail, S., Wahab, M. H., Mardiah, W. N., Rani, W. M., & Amat, R. C. (2017). An overview of project communication management in construction industry projects. Journal of Management, Economics, and Industrial Organization, 1(1), 1-8.
- Thomas, S. R., Tucker, R. L., & Kelly, W. R. (1999). Compass: An assessment tool for improving project team communications. Project Management Journal, 30(4), 15-24.
- Turkulainen, V., Aaltonen, K., & Lohikoski, P. (2016). Managing project stakeholder communication: The Qstock Festival case. Project Management Journal, 46(6), 74-91. doi: 10.1002/pmj.21547
- Tzanakaki, E. (2013). Communication and collaboration in School SA Company (department: issues & competition). Master thesis, City University of Seattle, WA. Retrieved from http://okeanis.lib.puas.gr/xmlui/handle/123456789/577
- Weaver, P. (2007). Getting the 'soft stuff' right - effective communication is the key to successful project outcomes. PMI Global Congress (North America). Retrieved from https://mosaicprojects.com.au/PDF_Papers/P055_Getting_the_Soft_Stuff_ Right.pdf
- Wellman, J. (2012). Eight habits of successful project teams. Employment Relations Today, 39(1), 37-44. doi: 10.1002/ert.21353
- Wooding, A. (2005). The impact of language and communication of meaning on ICT development projects. Doctoral dissertation, University of Pretoria, South Africa. Retrieved from http://dspace.opencollab.co.za/handle/123456789/4395
- Zulch, B. G. (2014). Communication: The foundation of project management. Procedia Technology, 16, 1000-1009. doi: 10.1016/j.protcy.2014.10.054
- Zulch, B. G. (2016). A proposed model for construction project management communication in the South African construction industry. Acta Structilia, 23(1), 1-35.
Publication order reference