PL EN


2021 | 11(1) | 23-30
Article title

Knowledge and attitude on mental disorder among adults in Putalibazar Municipality of Syangja district of Nepal

Content
Title variants
Languages of publication
Abstracts
EN
Purpose: To assess knowledge and attitude on mental disorder among adults in Putalibazar Municipality of Syangja district. Materials and methods: A descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted among adults of the aged group (18-64 years) in Putalibazar Municipality of Syangja district of Nepal. A semi-structured questionnaire was prepared for data collection. Similarly, the Likert scale was used to assess respondent’s attitude levels. SPSS 20 version and MS-Excel were used to analyze the data. The questionnaire was translated into the Nepali language during data collection. Results: The majority (57.3%) respondents responded mental disorder is a health condition involving changes in feeling and emotions. More than half (54.7%) respondents were having poor knowledge and the rest (45.3%) respondents were having a good level of knowledge on mental disorders. Respondents involved in a private job, government job and NGO/INGO have the highest, and housewives have the lowest level of knowledge regarding the mental disorder. Three-fifth respondents (59.7%) were having a negative attitude and the rest two-fifth respondents (40.3%) were having a positive attitude towards mental disorders. Also, the level of knowledge was having a statistically significant relationship with the education (p=0.02) and occupation (p=<0.001) of the respondents. The level of attitude was having a statistically significant relationship with the level of knowledge of the respondents (p=0.004). Conclusions: Good level of knowledge regarding mental disorders was lagging among respondents and a negative attitude seems high. There is an urgent need for public awareness among the adults living in this location. Mass media and anti-stigma campaigns can equally play a vital role to bring change in the attitude level of the respondents.
Keywords
Year
Volume
Pages
23-30
Physical description
Dates
published
2021-06-14
Contributors
References
Document Type
Publication order reference
Identifiers
YADDA identifier
bwmeta1.element.ceon.element-a308bca6-6184-3193-93af-5769ce0868bc
JavaScript is turned off in your web browser. Turn it on to take full advantage of this site, then refresh the page.