In the shade of the gymnasium. Lutheran scholarship in Leszno in the 17th century
Languages of publication
Apart from the Czech Brethren, the Lutherans were another large religious group in the 17th-century Leszno. They came to Leszno in 1628 from nearby Silesia, mainly from Góra. They formed an organized community using the German language, with a strong idenity. From the beninnig of their stay in Leszno, they applied for their own school. Initially, they sent their children to the school of the Czech Brethren. In 1638, they were granted the privilege to found elementary school and school for girls. There were also small private schools. In 1659 a Latin school was established, which was to be an alternative to the gymnasium of the Brethren for religious reasons. The level of education in tltheran schools in Leszno is confirmed by the number of students studying at German universities, including in Frankfurt (Oder), Leipzig and Jena.
Publication order reference