DOES WEB 2.0-SUPPORTED PROJECT-BASED INSTRUCTION IMPROVE JORDANIAN EFL LEARNERS' SPEAKING PERFORMANCE?
Languages of publication
This study examines the potential effectiveness of Web 2.0-supported project-based learning in Jordanian EFL eleventh-grade students’ speaking fluency and accuracy of grammar and vocabulary. The participants of the study were 43 female students who were purposefully selected from two schools at Al-Koura Directorate of Education (Jordan) in the first semester of the academic year 2018/2019. Using a quasi- experimental, pre-/post-test design, the participants were divided into the experimental group (n=21) who was instructed using computerized project-based instruction and the control group (n= 22) who was taught per the guidelines of the prescribed Teacher Book, Action Pack 11. Descriptive statistics and One-Way ANCOVA were used to analyze the students’ scores on the speaking pre-/post-tests. The results showed that the participants instructed through the computerized project-based treatment outperformed those who were conventionally instructed in both speaking fluency and accuracy of vocabulary and grammar. A number of pedagogical implications and recommendations are put forth.
- Al-Jamal, D. (2007). English teaching and learning experiences in Jordan: attitudes and views. Umm Al-Qura University Journal of Educational and Social Sciences and Humanities, 19(1), 29-55.
- Al-Masadeh, A., & Al-Omari, H. (2014). The effectiveness of a proposed project-based program for teaching oral skills to tenth grade EFL learners in Jordan and their attitudes towards these skills. Journal of Education and Practice, 5(13), 133-148. Retrieved 18 June 2019 from https://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JEP/article/view/ 12724.
- Alsop-Cotton, J. (2009). Guided inquiry: learning in the 21st century. The Journal of Academic Librarianship, 35(1),102-102.
- America Achieves Educator Networks (2018). Leveraging Project-Based Learning to improve career readiness. Retrieved 26 July 2019 from https://drive.google.com/file/d/19A9Z piofyBsMbRQzjbKzWbA0vMrEggCT/view.
- Anuyahong, B., & Road, P. (2015). Using project-based approach to enhance English speaking ability of Thai- Nichi Institute of Technology students. Retrieved 17 June 2019 from https://icsai.org/procarch/1iclep/1iclep-18.pdf.
- Bahrani, T., & Soltani, R. (2012). How to teach speaking skill? Journal of Education and Practice, 3(2), 26-29.
- Bailey, K. M. (2005). Practical English Language: Teaching Speaking. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Bani Abdo, I. B., & Breen, G. M. (2010). Teaching EFL to Jordanian learners: new strategies for enhancing English acquisition in a distinct Middle Eastern student population. Creative Education, 1(1), 39-50. Retrieved 19 June 2019 from https://file.scirp.org/pdf/ CE20100100005_ 64261863.pdf.
- Barell, J. (2003). Developing More Curious Minds. Alexandria, Virginia: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD).
- Barell, J. (2010). Problem-Based Learning: the foundation for 21st Century Skills. Retrieved 25 June 2019 from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.462.25 51&rep=rep1&type=pdf.
- Bartolomé, A. (2008). Web 2.0 and new learning paradigms. eLearning Papers, 8. Retrieved 17 June 2019 from http://www.lmi.ub.es/personal/bartolome/articuloshtml/ 08elearningPap.pdf.
- Bataineh, R. F., & Al-Refa’i, A. M. (2019). The potential of TED Talks for developing prospective United Nations Police Monitors' listening performance. Lublin Studies in Modern Languages and Literature, 43(4), 141-153. Retrieved 19 June 2019 from https://journals.umcs.pl/lsmll/article/view/7657/6921.
- Bataineh, R. F., Al-Bzour, W. K., & Baniabdelrahman, A. A. (2017). On the teachability of communication strategies to Jordanian EFL beginners: exploration and reflection. International Online Journal of Education and Teaching, 4(3), 213-227. Retrieved 19 June 2019 from http://iojet.org/index.php/IOJET/article/view/154/167.
- Bell, S. (2010). Project-Based Learning for the 21st century: skills for the future. The Clearing House, 83(2), 39-43.
- Bender, W. N. (2012). Project-Based Learning: Differentiating Instruction for the 21st Century. Thousand Oaks, California: Corwin Press.
- Boss, S. (2012). The challenge assessing of Project-Based Learning: on the heels of common core state standards, administrators begin assessing critical thinking and content mastery. District Administration, 48(9), 46-52.
- Brown, H. D. (2000). Teaching by Principles. White Plains, New York: Longman.
- Brown, S. (2016). Language input through Project Based Learning: why and how. [PowerPoint Presentation] Retrieved 10-9-2017 from https://www.cityofglasgowcollege .ac.uk/sites/defau.
- Burns, A. (2012). A holistic approach to teaching speaking in the language classroom. In C. C. M Goh & A. Burns (Eds.), Teaching Speaking: A Holistic Approach (pp.165-178). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Burns, A., & Hill, D. (2013). Teaching speaking in a second language. In B. Tomlinson (Ed.), Applied Linguistic Meterials Development (pp. 231-251). London: Bloomsbury.
- Castañeda, R. J. P. (2014). English teaching through Project Based Learning method, in rural area. Cuadernos de Lingüística Hispánica, 23, 151-171. Retrieved 17 June 2019 from http://www.scielo.org.co/pdf/clin/n23/n23a09.pdf.
- Chang, W. (2014). Group communication and interaction in Project-Based Learning: the use of Facebook in a Taiwanese EFL context. International Journal of Learning, Teaching and Educational Research, 1(1),108-130.
- Dewi, H. (2016). Project Based Learning techniques to improve speaking skills. English Education Journal, 7(3), 341-359.
- Donnelly, R. (2005). Using technology to support Project and Problem-Based Learning. In T. Barrett & I. McClelland (Eds.), Handbook of Enquiry and Problem-Based Learning: Irish Case Studies and International Perspectives (pp. 157-178). The National University of Ireland, Galway.
- Du, X., & Han, J. (2016). A literature review on the definition and process of Project-Based Learning and other relative studies. Creative Education, 7(7), 1079-1083.
- Elam, J. R., & Nesbit, B. (2012). The effectiveness of Project-Based Learning utilizing Web 2.0 tools in EFL. JALTCALLJournal, 8(2), 113-127. Retrieved 19 June 2019 from https://journal.jaltcall.org/articles/8_2_Elam.pdf.
- Essien, A. M. (2018). The effects of Project Based Learning on 21st Century Skills. Proceedings of the International Academic Research Conference in Vienna (pp. 438-443). Retrieved 19 June 2019 from http://www.ijbts-journal.com/images/main_1366796758/66)%20VI18-1142_Full%20Paper-Abigail%20Melad%20Essien.pdf.
- Farouck, I. (2016). A Project-Based Language Learning Model for improving the willingness to communicate of EFL learners. Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, 14(2), 11-18. Retrieved 19 June 2019 from http://www.iiisci.org/journal/CV$/sci/pdfs/EB193TO16.pdf.
- Figueroa-Flores, J. F. (2015). Using the Web 2.0 to enhance the teaching and learning experience in the ESL classroom. Revista Educação, Cultura e Sociedade, 5(2), 108-120. Retrieved 19 June 2019 from http://sinop.unemat.br/projetos/revista/index.php/educacao/ article/ view/1895/ 1486.
- Fitriani, D. A., Apriliaswati, R., & Wardah (2015). A study on student’s English speaking problems in speaking performance. Jurnal Pendidikan Dan Pembelajaran Untan, 4(9). Retrieved 19 June 2019 from http://jurnal.untan.ac.id/index.php/jpdpb/article/view/ 11345/10753.
- Franklin, T., & van Harmelen, M. (2007). Web 2.0 for content for learning and teaching in higher education. Retrieved 17 June 2019 from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/24ba/ 620460a6db0bd9284aabf8e286be62ddb77f.pdf.
- Geier, R., Blumenfeld, P.C., Marx, R. W., Krajcik, J. S., Fishman, B., Soloway, E., Clay-Chambers, J. (2008). Standardized test outcomes for students engaged in inquiry-based science curricula in the context of urban reform. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 45(8), 922-939.
- Goh, C. C. M. (2007). Teaching Speaking in the Language Classroom. RELC Portfolio Series 15. Singapore: SEAMEO Regional Language Center. Retrieved 17 June 2019 from https://www.academia.edu/953274/Goh_C._C._M._2007_._Teaching_Speaking_in_the_Language_Classroom_PP._50_._Singapore_SEAMEO_Regional_Language_Centre.
- Gunter, G. A. (2007). Building student data literacy: an essential critical-thinking skill for the 21st century. Multimedia and Internet@Schools, 14(3), 24.
- Harris, D. P. (1969). Testing English as a Second Language. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Harris, M. J. (2014). The Challenges of Implementing Project-Based Learning in Middle Schools. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, University of Pittsburgh. Retrieved 25 June 2019 from http://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/23533/1/MatthewJHarrisDissertation %235.pdf.
- Holm, M. (2011). Project Based Instruction: a review of the literature on effectiveness in prekindergarten through 12th grade classrooms. InSight: Rivier Academic Journal, 7(2). Retrieved 18 June 2019 from https://www2.rivier.edu/journal/ROAJ-Fall-2011/J575-Project-Based-Instruction-Holm.pdf.
- Klippel, F. (1984). Keep Talking: Communicative Fluency Activities for Language Teaching. Avon: The Bath Press. Retrieved 18 June 2019 from https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/ 12169415.pdf.
- Knoll, M. (1997). The Project Method: its vocational education origin and international development. Journal of Industrial Teacher Education, 34(3), 59-80. Retrieved 18 June 2019 from https://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JITE/v34n3/Knoll.html.
- Krajcik, J. S., & Blumenfeld, P. C. (2006). Project-Based Learning. In R. Keith Sawyer (Ed.), The Cambridge Handbook of the Learning Sciences (pp. 475-488). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Kumar, T. J. (2013). Teaching speaking: from fluency to accuracy. The Journal of English Language Teaching, 6, 16-2.
- Larmer, J., & Mergendoller, J. (2015). Why we changed our model of the “8 Essential Elements of PBL”. Buck Institute for Education. Retrieved 25 June 2019 http://mathisaverb.webstarts.com/uploads/Why_We_Changed_8EEs_article.pdf.
- Luo, T. (2013). Web 2.0 for language learning. International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching, 3(3), 1-17. Retrieved 18 June 2019 from http://digital commons.odu.edu/stemps_fac_pubs/17.
- Markham, T. (2011). Project Based Learning: a bridge just far enough. Teacher Librarian, 39(2), 38-42. Retrieved 25 June 2019 from https://books.apple.com/us/book/ project-based-learning-bridge-just-far-enough-feature/id514380346.
- Markham, T., & Ravitz, J. L (2003). Project sed Learning Handbook: A Guide to Standards-Focused Project Based Learning for Middle and High School Teachers. Novato, California: Buck Institute for Education.
- Maulany, D. B. (2013). The use of Project Based Learning in improving the learners' speaking skills (a classroom action research at one of primary schools in Bandung). Journal of English and Education, 1(1), 30-42. Retrieved 18 June 2019 from http://ejournal.upi.edu/index.php/L-E/article/view/323/212.
- Omaggio Hadley, A. (2000). Teaching Language in Context. Boston: Heinle and Heinle.
- Popescu, E. (2014). Providing collaborative learning support with social media in an integrated environment. World Wide Web, 17, 99-212.
- Quigley, D. (2010). Project-Based Learning and Student Achievement. UMI Dissertations Publishing.
- Ravitz, J., Hixson, N., English, M., Mergendoller, J. (2012). Using Project Based Learning to teach 21st Century Skills: findings from a Statewide Initiative. A paper presented at Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Vancouver, BC., 16 April. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from https://www.academia.edu/1854322/Using_ project_based_learning_to_teach_21st_century_skills_Findings_from_a_statewide_initiative.
- Redecker, C. (2009). Review of Web 2.0 learning practices: study on the impact of Web 2.0 innovations on education and training in Europe. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://ftp.jrc.es/EURdoc/JRC49108.pdf.
- Richards, J. C. (2009). Teaching listening and speaking: from theory to practice. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from https://www.professorjackrichards.com/wp-content/uploads/teaching-listening-and-speaking-from-theory-to-practice.pdf.
- Riswandi, D. (2016). Use of YouTube-based videos to improve students’ speaking skill. Proceeding of the Second International Conference on Teacher Training and Education, 2(1). Sebelas Maret University, Surakarta, Indonesia. Retrieved 21 July 2019 from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7726/30f1ba52af6e8cece1eb00c44863ee74 ba1d.pdf.
- Rochmahwati, P. (2015). Fostering learners’ critical thinking by Project-Based Learning. Journal on English as a Foreign Language, 5(1), 37-44. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://e-journal.iain-palangkaraya.ac.id/index.php/jefl/article/viewFile/90/614.
- Smith, K. (2015). Project-Based Learning. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://www.kevindsmith.org/uploads/1/1/2/4/11249861/project-based-learning-kevin-smith.pdf.
- Solomon, G. (2003). Project-Based Learning: a primer. Technology and Learning, 23(6). Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://www.techlearning.com/db_area/archives/TL/2003/01/ project.
- Srivastava, S. R. (2014). Accuracy vs. fluency in English classroom. New Man International Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies, 1(4), 55-58. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://www.newmanpublication.com/br/09.pdf.
- Strobel, J., & van Barneveld, A. (2009). When is PBL more effective? A meta-synthesis of meta-analyses comparing PBL to conventional classrooms. Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-Based Learning, 3(1). 44-58. Retrieved 25 June 2019 from https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1046&context=ijpbl.
- Thomas, J.W. (2000). A review of research on Project-Based Learning. San Rafael, California: Autodesk Foundation. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://www.bobpearlman.org/BestPractices/PBL_Research.pdf.
- Thornbury, S. (2000). Targetting accuracy, fluency and complexity. English Teaching Professional, 16, 3-6. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://nebula.wsimg.com/9a68a9ae1b7 8b17fb70d1126e7112409?AccessKeyId=186A535D1BA4FC995A73&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.
- Thorpe, K., & Burgess, C. (2012). Pedagogical approaches in a Mandatory Indigenous Education Subject. The International Journal of Learning, 18(11), 177-190.
- Ulrich, C. (2016). John Dewey and the Project-Based Learning: landmarks for nowadays Romanian education. Journal of Educational Sciences and Psychology, 6(68), 54-60. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://academiapedagogilor.ro/images/9.pdf.
- Vaca Torres, A. M., & Gómez Rodríguez, L. F. (2017). Increasing EFL learners’ oral production at a public school through Project-Based Learning. Profiles. Issues in Teachers’ Professional Development, 19(2), 57-71. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1147219.pdf.
- Wallace, T., Stariha, W., & Walberg, H. J. (2004). Teaching speaking, listening and writing. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://www.ibe.unesco.org/sites/default/files/resources/edu-practices_14_eng.pdf.
- Wang, S., & Vásquez, C. (2012). Web 2.0 and second language learning: what does the research tell us? CALICO Journal, 29(3), 412-430. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://camillaVasquez.com/pdf/WangVasquez_Web2_CALICO.pdf.
- Yaseen, N. B. (2018). Factors Negatively Affecting EFL Learners’ Speaking Skills at Jordanian Private Schools. Unpublished Master’s Thesis. Middle East University, Amman. Jordan. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://www.meu.edu.jo/libraryTheses/5adc5943acab9 _1.pdf.
- Zhang, Y. (2015). Project-Based Learning in Chinese college English listening and speaking course: from theory to practice. Canadian Social Science, 11(9), 40-44. Retrieved 24 June 2019 from http://www.cscanada.net/index.php/css/article/view/7532.
Publication order reference