Discovery of deposits and beginnings of lignite mining in Zielona Góra
The work describes the discovery of lignite deposits by C.A. Pohlez in 1838 near Zielona Góra that initiated extraction of this mineral coal by several mines. Exploitation of lignite in Zielona Góra and its neighbourhood was taking place in the years 1841–1948. The article describes only the first years of mining and creation of the Gewerkschaft “Consolidierte Grünberger Gruben”, which embraced almost all mines in the vicinity. Extraction of lignite was conducted in the Wilkanowo and Słone villages near Zielona Góra, and also in the western part of the city. The text describes areas where particular mines belonging to the Gewrkschaft worked and presents well-known locations of the oldest mineshafts. It also presents available historical maps containing data on mining in the area of Zielona Góra and, on the basis of few preserved source materials and the 19th-century geological and mining literature, certain data concerning employment and the amount of extraction. The article introduces us also to the economic situation of the 19th-century Gewerkschaft.
Publication order reference