Cloud services in the present or in the future of micro-enterprises
Languages of publication
This paper presents the results of a study conducted in Slovenia between January and June 2011 in Slovene micro-enterprises. We used a structured questionnaire with some demographic questions about business computerization, the owner’s characteristics and some questions about the level of awareness of Cloud computing and what significance have the listed properties of Cloud computing services for owners to hire Cloud solutions. The results show that almost two thirds of micro-enterprises did not know anything about Cloud computing at that time. One of the most important information source on Cloud computing was the Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Micro-enterprises showed the highest interest in the possibility of hiring IaaS – data store capacities and backups. As the most important characteristics they highlight reliability, security and performance of Cloud solutions. The results of this study were compared with the outcome of some other comparable studies, and some recommendations for micro-enterprises are given.
- Chuang T., Nakatani K., Zhou D., An exploratory study of the extent of information technology adoption in SMEs: an application of upper echelon theory, Journal of Enterprise Information Management 2009, Vol. 22(1–2), pp. 183–196, DOI: 10.1108/17410390910932821.
- Dwivedi Y., Mustafee N., It’s unwritten in the Cloud: the technology enablers for realizing the promise of Cloud Computing, Journal of Enterprise Information Management 2010, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 673–679.
- Fingar P., Dot Cloud: The 21st Century Business Platform Build on Cloud Computing, Meghan-Kiffer Press, 2009.
- Frith M., Bonnici T., O2 Facing Backlash over 3G Network Failure, http://www.standard.co.uk/news/techandgadgets/o2-facing-backlash-over-3g-network-failure-7938131.html (date of access: 12.06.2012).
- Gens F., Mahowald R., Villars L.R., Bradshaw D., Morris C., Cloud Computing 2010. An IDC Update, http://www.cionet.com/Data/files/groups/Cloud%20Computing%202010%20-%20An%20IDC%20Update.pdf (date of access: 12.06.2012).
- Gutierrez J., Orozco J., Serrano A., Factors affecting IT and business alignment: A comparative study in SMEs and large organisations, Journal of Enterprise Information Management 2009, Vol. 22(1–2), pp. 197–211, DOI: 10.1108/17410390910932830.
- Hickey A., 10 Biggest Cloud Outages of 2011 (So Far), http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/cloud/231000954/the-10-biggest-cloud-outages-of-2011-so-far.htm;jsessionid=k4zX+02UzaudZ+lLlouZLw**.ecappj01 (date of access: 30.10.2011).
- Jeon B., Han K., Lee M., Determining factors for the adoption of e-business: The case of SMEs in Korea, Applied Economics 2006, Vol. 38, pp. 1905–1916.
- Jungwoo L., Discriminant analysis of technology adoption behavior: a case of Internet technologies in small businesses, The Journal of Computer Information Systems 2004, pp. 1–9.
- Kapurubandara M., Lawson R., SMEs in developing countries need support to address the challenges of adopting e-commerce technologies, [in:] 20th Bled eConference eMergence: Merging and Emerging Technologies, Processes, and Institutions, pp. 1–15, Bled 2007.
- Koellinger P., Why are some entrepreneurs more innovative than others?, Small Bus Econ 2008, Vol. 31, pp. 21–37.
- Kuhelj D., Enterprises, Slovenia, 2009 – Final Data. Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia, http://www.stat.si/eng/novica_prikazi.aspx?ID=3580 (date of access: 06.09.2011).
- Łapiński K., Wyżnikiewicz B., Cloud computing the new impulse for the economy, THINKTANK magazine 2011, pp. 5–35.
- Lee S.M., Kim J., Choi Y., Lee, S.G., Effects of IT knowledge and media selection on operational performance of small firms, Small Bus Econ 2009, Vol. 32, pp. 241–257.
- Miller M., Cloud Computing: Web based Applications That Change the Way You Work and Collaborate Online, Que Publishing, 2009.
- Neuberger D., Räthke S., Microenterprises and multiple bank relationships: The case of professionals, Small Bus Econ 2009, Vol. 32, pp. 207–229.
- Perdue T., Cloud Computing Service Outages in 2011, http://newtech.about.com/od/cloudcomputing/tp/Cloud-Computing-Major-Service-Outages-In-2011.htm (date of access: 10.10.2011).
- Rittinghouse J., Ransome J., Cloud Computing Implementation, Management and Security, CRC Press, 2010.
- Rohde F., IS/IT outsourcing practices of small- and medium sized manufacturers, International Journal of Accounting Information Systems 2004, Vol. 5, pp. 429–451.
- Shiau W., Hsu P., Wang J., Development of measures to assess the ERP adoption of small and medium enterprises, Journal of Enterprise Information Management 2009, Vol. 22(1–2), 99-118, DOI: 10.1108/17410390910922859.
- The Commission of the European Communities, Commission recommendation of 6 May 2003 concerning the definition of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises, Official Journal of the European Union 2003, L124, pp. 36–41.
- Widjava I., The 10 Worst Cloud Outages: Lessons Learned, http://www.cloudbusinessreview.com/2011/06/30/the-10-worst-cloud-outages-lessons-learned.html (date of access: 30.10.2011).
- Wiklund J., Patzelt H., Shepherd D., Building an integrative model of small business growth, Small Bus Econ 2009, Vol. 32, pp. 351–374.
- Yang H., Chen H., Are small firms less efficient?, Small Bus Econ 2009, Vol. 32, pp. 375–395.
Publication order reference