Influence of intra-organizational trust on organizational outcomes
Languages of publication
Nowadays, trust is perceived as one of the key factors that can build an organization’s competitive advantage, increase the efficiency of its functioning and ability to develop. It can be expected that shaping trust in an organisation will lead to improvements in various aspects of its functioning, especially effectiveness. This issue has not yet been the object of comprehensive scientific research. Hence, this study tackles the issue of the impact of trust on an organization’s outcomes. At the same time, two basic categories of trust are distinguished: global (attitudinal/affective) trust (regarding the belief that people in general are trustworthy) and specific (situational/cognitive) trust (modified by an individual’s experience). In the latter category, we may distinguish between vertical trust (concerning superiorsubordinate relations) and lateral trust (concerning relations between co-workers). The relation between the level of trust and organizational outcomes is examined for each of these categories of trust. The research covers organisations functioning in Poland and is based on a questionnaire.
- Faculty of Computer Science and Management, Wrocław University of Science and Technology, Wybrzeże Wyspiańskiego 27, 50-370 Wrocław, Poland, email@example.com
- Faculty of Computer Science and Management, Wrocław University of Science and Technology, Wybrzeże Wyspiańskiego 27, 50-370 Wrocław, Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty of Computer Science and Management, Wrocław University of Science and Technology, Wybrzeże Wyspiańskiego 27, 50-370 Wrocław, Poland, email@example.com
- Faculty of Computer Science and Management, Wrocław University of Science and Technology, Wybrzeże Wyspiańskiego 27, 50-370 Wrocław, Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- ALPENBERG J., SCARBROUGH J.D., Trust and control in changing production environments, J. Business Rev., in press, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.12.003., access date 01.2018.
- BARNEH J., HANSEN M., Trustworthiness as a source of competitive advantage, Strat. Manage. J., 1994, 15, 175–190.
- BIEŃKOWSKA A., ZABŁOCKA-KLUCZKA A., Trust and controlling, Manage., 2016, 20 (2), 261–277.
- BIEŃKOWSKA A., ZABŁOCKA-KLUCZKA A., Trust and contemporary concepts of management, Hradecké Ekon. Dny, 2017, 2, 47–60 (in Polish).
- BIJLSMA K., KOPMAN P., Introduction. Trust within organizations, Pers. Rev., 2003, 32 (5), 543–555.
- BLOMQVIST K., The many faces of trust, Scand. J. Manage., 1997, 13 (3), 271–286.
- BUGDOL M., Selected proposal and possibilities of trust developments within the TQM concept, The TQM J., 2013, 25 (1), 75–88.
- BUTLER J.K., Jr., Toward understanding and measuring conditions of trust. Evolution of a conditions of trust inventory, J. Manage., 1991, 17 (3), 643–663.
- CHAMI R., FULLENKAMP C., Trust and efficiency, J. Bank. Fin., 2002, 26, 1785–1809.
- COLLIS D.J., MONTGOMERY C., Corporate strategy. Resources and scope of the firm, Irvin, McGraw-Hill, London 1997.
- COLQUITT J.A., SCOTT B.A., LEPINE J.A., Trust, trustworthiness, and trust propensity. A meta-analytic test of their unique relationships with risk taking and job performance, J. Appl. Psych., 2007, 92, 909–927.
- COWLES D.L., The role of trust in customer relationships. Asking the right questions, Manage. Dec., 1997, 35 (4), 273–282.
- CRASWELL R., On the uses of trust. Comment on Williamson, Calculativeness, Trust, and Economic Organization, J. Law & Economics, 1993, 36 (1), Part 2, 487–500.
- CZAJKOWSKA M., A culture of trust within an organisation. The need for it, its essence and formation, Ann. Ethics Econ. Life, 2008, 11 (1), 311–319 (in Polish).
- DIRKS K.T., FERRIN D.L., The role of trust in organizational settings, Org. Sci., 2001, 12 (2), 450–467.
- DIRKS K.T., FERRIN D.L., Trust in leadership. Meta-analytic findings and implications for research and practice, J. Appl. Psych., 2002, 87, 611–628.
- DOVEY K., The role of trust in innovation, Learning Org., 2009, 16, 311–325.
- DRISCOLL J.W., Trust and participation in organizational decision making as predictors of satisfaction, Acad. Manage. J., 1978, 21, 44–56.
- EBERL P., CLEMENT U., MOLLER H., Socialising employees’ trust in the organization: an exploration of apprentices’ socialization in two highly trusted companies, Human Res. Manage. J., 2012, 22 (4), 343–359.
- ELLIS K., SHOCKLEY-ZALABAK P., Trust in top management and immediate supervisor: The relationship to satisfaction, perceived organizational effectiveness, and information receiving, Comm. Quart., 2001, 49 (4), 328–398.
- FOX A., Beyond Contract. Work, Power and Trust Relations, Faber and Faber, London 1975.
- FUKUYAMA F., Trust. The Social Virtues and the Creation of Prosperity, The Free Press, New York 1995.
- GALFORD R.M., SEIBOLD-DRAPEAU A.S., The enemies of trust, Harvard Bus. Rev., 2003, 2 (February).
- GAMBETTA D., Can we trust trust? [In:] D.G. Gambetta (Ed.), Trust. Making and Breaking Cooperative Relations, Basil Blackwell, New York 1988, 213–237.
- GAO L., JANSSEN O., SHI K., Leader trust and employee voice: The moderating role of empowering leader behaviors, Leader. Quart., 2011, 22, 787–798.
- GILLESPIE N., DIETZ G., Trust repair after an organization-level failure, Acad. Manage. Rev., 2009, 34 (1), 127–145.
- GÓRNIAK L., MOTYKA M., The trust-control dimension as a factor determining the effectiveness of an organization, Psych. Ekon., 2012, 2, 38–53 (in Polish).
- GRUDZEWSKI W.M., HEJDUK I.K., SANKOWSKA A., WAŃTUCHOWICZ M., Management of Trust in Virtual Organizations, Difin, Warsaw 2007 (in Polish).
- HANDY C., Trust and the Virtual Organization, Harvard Bus. Rev., 1995, 73 (3) 40–50.
- JAKLIK A., ŁAGUNA M., Trust within an organization. A review of concepts and theoretical models, Psych. Społ., 2015, 10, 4 (35), 369–382 (in Polish).
- JIANG L., PROBST T.M., Do your employees (collectively) trust you? The importance of trust climate beyond individual trust, Scandinavian J. Manage., 2015, 31, 526–535.
- KOUZNES J., POSNER B., The Leadership Challenge, Jossey Bass, San Francisco 1995.
- KROT K., LEWICKA D., The influence of organizational trust on innovativeness in the light of a qualitative study, Studia i Prace Wydziału Nauk Ekonomicznych i Zarządzania Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego, 2015, 3 (39), 65–78 (in Polish).
- KROT K., LEWICKA D., Trust within an Innovative Organization, Wydawnictwo C.H. Beck, Warsaw 2016 (in Polish).
- LADEBO O.J., Perceptions of trust and employees’ attitudes. A look at Nigeria’s agricultural extension workers, J. Bus. Psych., 2006, 20 (3) 409–427.
- LANE C., Introduction. Theories and issues in the study of trust, [In:] C. Lane, R. Bachmann (Eds.), Trust within and between Organizations. Conceptual Issues and Empirical Applications, Oxford University Press, New York 1998.
- LATIFI M., SHOOSHTARIAN Z., The effects of organizational structure on organizational trust and effectiveness, Polish J. Manage. Stud., 2014, 10 (2), 73–84.
- LEWICKA D., The influence of vertical trust on the commitment of employees to an organization, Acta Universitatis Lodziensis, Folia Oeconomica 282, 2013, 179–186 (in Polish).
- LOCKE J., Essays on the Law of Nature. The Latin Text with a Translation, Introduction and Notes, Together with Transcripts of Locke’s Shorthand in His Journal for 1676, Wolfgang von Leyden, Oxford University Press, 1954, 118.
- MAYER R.C., DAVIS J.H., SCHOORMAN F.D., An integration model of organizational trust, Academy Manage., Acad. Manage. Rev., 2005, 20, (3) 709.
- MAYER R.C., GAVIN M., Trust for management and performance: Who minds the shop while the employees watch the boss?, Acad. Manage. J., 2005, 48, 874–888.
- MCCAULEY D.P., KUHNERT K.W., A theoretical review and empirical investigation of employee trust in management, Public Adm. Quart., 1992, 16 (2), 265–285.
- MŁOKOSIEWICZ M., A culture of trust and firm-employee relations, Ann. Ethics Econ. Life, 2015, 18 (3), 59–71 (in Polish).
- MONDEN Y., Toyota Production System. An integrated Approach to Just-In-Time, 4th Ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2012.
- NAIR M.S., SALLEH R., Linking Performance Appraisal Justice, Trust and Employee Engagement. A conceptual framework, Proc. Soc. Behav. Sci., 2015, 211, 1155–1162.
- NEELY A., GREGORY M., PLATTS K., Performance measurement system design. A literature review and research agenda, Int. J. Oper. Prod. Manage., 1995, 15 (4), 80–116.
- NILSSON J., KIHLEN A., NORELL L., Are traditional cooperatives an endangered species? About shrinking satisfaction, involvement and trust, Int. Food Agribus. Manage. Rev., 2009, 12 (4), 103–124.
- NOWAKOWSKI K., Dimensions of trust and the problem of negative trust in Poland, Ruch Prawn., Ekon. Soc., 2008, 70 (1), 213–233 (in Polish).
- PALISZKIEWICZ J., The role of trust in managing a firm, [In:] R. Kosala (Ed.), Innovations in Management and Production Engineering, Oficyna Wydawnicza PTZP, Opole 2014, 409–418 (in Polish).
- PALISZKIEWICZ J., KOOHANG A., GOŁUCHOWSKI J., HORN-NORD J., Management trust, organizational trust, and organizational performance: advancing and measuring a theoretical model, Manage. Prod. Eng. Rev., 2014, 5 (1), 32–41.
- POLITIS J.D., The connection between trust and knowledge management: what are its implications for team performance, J. Knowl. Manage., 2003, 5 (5), 55–66.
- REECE B.L., BRANDT R., Effective Human Relations in Organizations, 7th Ed., Houghton Mifflin Co., New York 1999.
- SAKO M., Does trust improve business performance?, [In:] C. Bachmann, R. Lane (Eds.), Trust within and between Organizations, Oxford University Press, 1998, 43–76.
- SANKOWSKA A., Trust and the innovativeness of firms, Współczesne Zarządzanie, 2010, 3, 10–15 (in Polish).
- SANKOWSKA A., SIUDAK D., The impact of organizational trust on a firm’s market value. The effects of firm size, Argumenta Oeconomica, 2015, 2 (35), 105–122.
- SCOTT D., The causal relationship between trust and the assessed value of management by objectives, J. Manage., 1980, 6, 157–175.
- SHOCKLEY-ZALABAK P., ELLIS K., WINOGRAD G., Organizational trust. What it means, why it matters, Org. Dev. J., 2000, 18 (4), 35–48.
- SINK D.S., MORRIS W.T., JOHNSTON C.S., By What Method?, IIE Engineering and Management Press, Norcross 1995.
- SIX F., SORGE A., Creating a high-trust organization. An exploration into organizational policies that stimulate interpersonal building, J. Manage. Studies, 2008, 45, (5), 857–884.
- STRAITER K.L., The effects of supervisors’ trust of subordinates and their organization on job satisfaction and organizational commitment, Int. J. Leadership Studies, 2005, 1 (1), 86–101.
- SZTOMPKA P., Sociology. An Analysis of Society, 2nd Ed., Wydawnictwo Znak, Krakow 2012 (in Polish).
- SZTOMPKA P., Trust. A Sociological Theory, Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- SZTOMPKA P., Trust. The Fundament of Society, Wydawnictwo Znak, Krakow 2007 (in Polish).
- TAN H.H., LIM A.K.H., Trust in co-workers and trust in organizations, J. Psych., 2009, 143 (1), 45–66.
- TAŞTAN S., DAVOUDI S., An examination of the relationship between leader-member exchange and innovative work behavior with the moderating role of trust in leader. A study in the Turkish context, Proc. Soc. Behav. Sci., 2015, 181, 23–32.
- TORRES A., BLIGH M., How far can I trust you? The impact of distance and cultural values on leaders’ trustworthiness, J. Lead., Acc. Ethics, 2012, 9 (2), 23–38.
- USLANER E.M., The Moral Foundation of Trust, Cambridge University Press, New York 2002.
- WALCZAK W., The meaning of trust in the management of human resources, E-mentor, 2012, 5 (47), 31–39 (in Polish).
- WALECKA-JANKOWSKA K., Trust and the innovativeness of organizations, Prace Naukowe Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego we Wrocławiu, 2013, 300, 131–140 (in Polish).
- WHITENER E.M., BRODT S.E., KORSGAARD M.A., WERNER J.M., Managers as initiators of trust: an exchange relationship framework for understanding managerial trustworthy behavior, Acad. Manage. Rev., 1998, 23 (3), 513–530.
- WINTROBE R., BRETON A., Organizational structure and productivity, Am. Econ. Rev., 1986, 76, 530–538.
- ZANINI M.T.F., MIGUELES C.P., Trust as an element of informal coordination and its relationship with organizational performance, Economia, 2013, 14, 77–87.
- ZAPATA C., OLSEN J., MARTINS L., Social exchange from the supervisor’s perspective: Employee trustworthiness as a predictor of interpersonal and informational justice, Org. Beh. Human Dec. Proc., 2013, 121, 1–12.
- ZIMNIEWICZ K., Contemporary Concepts and Methods of Management, PWE, Warsaw 2000 (in Polish).
- ZUCKER L.G., Production of trust. Institutional sources of economic structure 1840–1920, Res. Org. Beh., 1986, 8, 53–111.
Publication order reference