Can Russia and China form an alliance to balance the United States?
Languages of publication
The recent decade has seen an intensification of Russia-China cooperation, also in the military field. Both countries share the view that the current international order with the US hegemony in the centre of it is unjust. The Western sanctions towards Russia after the war in Ukraine in 2014 and the US pivot to Asia has given even more incentive for both countries to cooperate. That raises the question whether Russia and China can form an alliance to balance the US power and if there is any potential to form such an alliance.
- Boland R., 2014, China and Russia Pose an Array of Dangers to the West. Signal, 2014 June, p. 36-40.
- Chang G.G., 2014, China and Russia: An Axis of Weak States. World Affairs, 2014, March/April, p. 17-29.
- Dorsey J., 2016, China & the Middle East: Tilting Towards Iran? The Hufftington Post, January 28, 2016 (online) Available at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamesdorsey/china-the-middle-east-ti_b_9098224.html (accessed 02 March, 2016)
- Feng H., 2015, The New Geostrategic Game: Will China and Russia Form an Alliance against the United States? Copenhagen: Danish Institute for International Studies.
- Gelb L.H. and Simes D.K., 2013, Beware Collusion of China, Russia. The National Interest, 2013 July/August, p. 5-9.
- Glaser B.S., 2014, US-China Relations. Managing Differences Remains an Urgent Challenge. Southeast Asian Affairs, 2014, p. 76-82.
- Kaczmarski M., 2015, Russia-China Relations in the Post-Crisis International Order. New York: Routledge.
- Kaplan R.D., 2016, Eurasia's Coming Anarchy: The Risks of Chinese and Russian Weakness. Foreign Affairs, 2016, March/April, p. 33-41.
- MacHaffie J., 2011, The Potential for a China-Russia Military Alliance Explored. Turkish Journal of International Relations, 2011, Vol. 10, No. 2-3, Summer-Fall.
- Paul TV., 2004, Balance of Power: Theory and Practice in the 21st Century. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- Pehrson C.J., 2006, String of Pearls: Meeting the Challenge of China's Rising Power Across the Asian Littoral. US Army War College: Strategic Studies Institute, 2006 July.
- Swanstrom N., 2014, Sino-Russian Relations at the Start of the New Millenium in Central Asia and Beyond. Journal of Contemporary China, 2014, Vol. 23, No. 87, p. 480-497.
- Trenin D, 2012, True Partners? How Russia and China See Each Other. London: Centre for European Reform, 2012 February.
- Waltz K.N., 1979, Theory of International Politics. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Weitz R., 2003, Why Russia and China Have Not Formed an Anti-American Alliance. Naval War College Review, 2003, Autumn, Vol. LVI, No. 4, p. 39-61.
- Weitz R., 2014a, The Russia - China Gas Deal: Implications and Ramifications. World Affairs, 2014, September/October, p. 80-86.
- Weitz R., 2014b, Global Insights: In Ukraine Crisis, China Chooses Russia Ties over Principles. World Politics Review, 2014 November 3 (online) Available at: http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/13621/global-insights-in-ukrainecrisis-china-chooses-russia-ties-overprinciples (accessed 05 March, 2016).
Publication order reference