Sacral motifs in Ukrainian contemporary philosophical lyrics
Languages of publication
Context and style modifications of contemporary philosophical lyrics are centered on axiological issues. Young artists’ poetry is represented by a harmonious combination of topical themes with aesthetic form. The phenomenon of "spiritual hunger" of the transitional period leads to a search for guidance; therefore, appeal to the sacred truths is permanent in modern reflective lyrics. As Christianity has been the standard of moral virtues for the Ukrainians for a long time, the work of young artists is full of allusions to the Scriptures. Aside from the historical function, biblical images and motifs are the methods of presentation of the poets’ personal, intuitive and existential experiences. Therefore, their works are full of innovative explorations and experiments in description of sustainable images. In particular, the style of M. Kiyanowska’s poems is characterized by a combination of truths from the Old and New Testaments, sometimes at the level of quite unexpected associations. For the lyrical heroine of M. Savka’s poetry the biblical truths provide examples for a life of wisdom which is sanctified by kindness and love to one’s neighbor, and for B. Matiyash the whole world has sacred meaning. The purpose of the paper is to identify the features of the functioning of sacred images in modern Ukrainian poetry, and in particular in philosophical lyrics. This article uses general scientific (analysis, synthesis, induction) and literary methods (drawn from philological, comparative, typological, hermeneutic and psychological studies). Innovative qualities of the writings of the poets of the late 20th and early 21st century are analyzed involving basic approaches of receptive aesthetics and intertextual analysis of the text. The novelty of the research lies in the fact that for the first time in Ukrainian literary studies the work of the young poets provides the basis for a modern interpretation of biblical images and motifs. The results of this research are important for further study of the specific qualities of biblical reception in modern Ukrainian poetry. Practical importance of the results achieved is the ability to use them in teaching the courses on literary theory, modern Ukrainian literature, Ukrainian philosophical lyric, and courses entitled “Literature as a synthesis of religion, philosophy and art” and “The practice of poetry”.
- Antofiychuk V., Evangelical images in Ukrainian literature of the 20. century, Ruta, Chernivtsi 2001, 335 p.
- Betko I., Biblical plots and motives in Ukrainian poetry XIX-XX centuries., Zielona Gora-Kijow 1999, 160 p.
- Bovsunivska T., The establishment of Ukrainian aesthetics in sacral values aspect, Slavonic cultures in European civilization, V.I. Naulko (editor-in-chief), Kyiv 2001, 400 p. – p. 38-62.
- Eliade М., Mephistopheles and Androgen, The editorial center,Aleteya”, Saint Petersburg 1998, 374 p.
- Frye N., The Great Code: Bible and literature, Litopys, Lviv 2010, 360 p.
- Herasymyuk V., The fern. Poetry, [the afterword and comments by I. Moskalets], the editorial centre, “Prosvita”, Kyiv 2006, 328 p.
- Herasymyuk V., There was such land. Poetry, Fact, Kyiv 2003, 392 p.
- Kiyanowska M., Myth Creation, Smoloskyp, Kyiv 2000, 104 p.
- Kiyanowska M., Simple Speech, Fact, Kyiv 2005, 112 p.
- Kiyanowska M., Something daily, Fact, Kyiv 2008, 62 p.
- Koval A., In the beginning was the Word. Idioms from biblical origin in Ukrainian language, Lybid, Kyiv 2001, 312 p.
- Lanovyk Z., Hermeneutica sacra, The editorial center of Ternopilian National Pedagogical University, Ternopil, 2006, 587 p.
- Layuk M., Osote! (Sow thistle!). Poetry. Smoloskyp, Kyiv 2013, 224 p.
- Matiyash B., Conversations with God, The Publishing House,Vydavnyctvo Starogo Leva”, Lviv 2007, 64 p.
- Nabytovich I., The universe of sacrum in artistic prose (from Modernism to Postmodernism), Posvit, Drogobych-Lublin 2008, 598 p.
- Savka M., Time for fruits and flowers, The Publishing House,Vydavnyctvo Starogo Leva”, Lviv 2013, 367 p.
- Sulyma V., Bible and Ukrainian literature, Osvita, Kyiv 1998, 400 p.
- The encyclopedia of literary studies, in 2 vs. V. 2, (editor-in-chief prof. U.I. Kovaliv), the editorial center,Academy”, Kyiv 2007, 608 p.
- The philosophical encyclopedic dictionary, (editor-in-chief V.Shynkaruk), Аbrys, Кyiv 2002, 742 p.
- Tkachuk M. Ukrainian literature of XX century, Medobory, Ternopil 2014, 608 p.
Publication order reference