Dlaczego „zielona polityka” nie jest popularna na Ukrainie? Przyczyny niepowodzenia Partii Zielonych Ukrainy w wyborach w 2002 r. i późniejszych
Why “green politics” is not popular in Ukraine? Reasons of failure of the Party of Greens of Ukraine in the 2002 elections and afterwards
Languages of publication
The paper explores the reasons for the failure of the Party of Greens of Ukraine (the PZU) in the 2002 elections after its success in 1998 elections. The first part is devoted to the issue of ecological conditions in Ukraine and lists the biggest problems in this area. The activity of the PZU is then examined and followed by evaluation of its actual performance in the Parliament, in order to find out whether the activities of the PZU correspond with the ecological problems of the country. The second part compares the 1998 and 2002 PR election campaigns to find similarities and differences between them. Main attention is drawn to the PR campaign of 2002 and the factors which could help explain the failure of the PZU in the elections. It is concluded that the main reasons for the failure of the PZU in the 2002 elections are rooted in the discrediting performance of the party in the Parliament, which resulted in a loss of political credibility, and exacerbated by the outdated and flawed PR campaign of the party given the new realities of the 2002 elections. Moreover, it is stressed that the popularity of the PZU among voters has been low in each parliamentary election since 2002.
- Prof. Yuliana Palagnyuk, PhD Petro Mohyla Black Sea National University, Department of Social Work, Governance and Pedago- gics, Ukraine Czarnomorski Uniwersytet Narodowy im. Petra Mohyły, Zakład Pracy Socjalnej, Zarządzania i Pedagogiki, Ukraina email@example.com, https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1019-8498
- Prof. Svitlana Soroka, PhD Petro Mohyla Black Sea National University, Department of Public Administration, Ukraine Czarnomorski Uniwersytet Narodowy im. Petra Mohyły, Zakład Administracji Publicznej, Ukraina firstname.lastname@example.org, https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2022-0388
- Official site of Central Election Commission of Ukraine, <https://www.cvk.gov.ua/>.
- “The Guardian”, 2017.
- Copsey N., The Ukrainian Parliamentary Elections of 2006, “Journal of Representative Democracy” 2006, Vol. 42, Issue 4.
- Dyczok M., Ukraine: movement without change, change without movement, Harwood Academic Publishers, Amsterdam 2000.
- Fritz V., State-building: A Comparative Study of Ukraine, Lithuania, Belarus, and Russia, Central European University Press, Budapest–New York 2007.
- Hagemann N., Blumensaat F., Tavares Wahren F., Trumper J., Burmeister C., Moynihan R., Scheifhacken N., The long road to im-proving the water quality of the Western Bug River (Ukraine) — A multi-scale analysis, “Journal of Hydrology” 2014, Vol. 519.
- Müller-Rommel F., New politics in Western Europe: the rise and success of green parties and alternative list, Westview Press, Boulder 1989.
- Nazarov N., Cook H. F., Woodgate G., Environmental issues in the post-communist Ukraine, “Journal of Environmental Management” 2001, Vol. 63, Issue 1.
- Peleschuk D., Trash talk: how beautiful, progressive Lviv became overrun with rubbish, “The Guardian”, 24 April 2017, <https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/apr/24/trash-talk-lviv-rubbish-crisis-ukraine>.
- Richardson D., The Green challenge. Philosophical, programmatic and electoral considerations, [in:] The Green challenge: the develop-ment of Green parties in Europe, eds. D. Richardson and Ch. Rootes, Routledge, London 1995.
- Rootes Ch., Environmental consciousness, institutional structures and political competition in the formation and development of Green par-ties, [in:] The Green challenge: the development of Green parties in Europe, eds. D. Richardson and Ch. Rootes, Routledge, Lon-don 1995.
- ZumBrunnen C., “Environmental conditions” in the Ukrainian economy. Achievements, problems, challenges, [in:] The Ukrainian econo-my: achievements, problems, challenges, ed. I. Koropeckyj, Harvard University Press, Cambridge 1992.
Publication order reference