Effectiveness of antismoking campaigns using health shock appeals among male university students in Western Australia
Languages of publication
- World Health Organization. World Health Organization Fact Sheet 2015, 6 Jul [cited 30.07.2015]. Available from URL: http:// www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs339/en/.
- World Heart Federation. How tobacco causes cardiovascular disease 2012 [cited 30.07.2015]. Available from URL: http://www.world-heart-federation.org/press/fact-sheets/tobacco-totally-avoidable-risk-factor-of-cvd/.
- Australian Government. The Department of Health 2015 [cited 30.07.2015]. Available from URL: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/tobacco-kff.
- Aitken R, Morrell S, Barraclough H, et al. Cancer incidence and mortality projections in New South Wales: 2007 to 2011. 2012 [cited 30.07.2015]. Available from URL: http://www.cancerinstitute.org.au/media/27770/2007-04_cancer_incidence_mortality_projections_2007-2011.pdf.
- National Heart Foundation of Australia. Factsheet-smoking. 2012 [cited 30.07.2015]. Available from URL: http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/Factsheet-Smoking.pdf.
- Mahoney J. Strategic communication and anti-smoking campaigns. Public Commun Rev 2010; 1(2): 33–48 [cited 30.07.2015].Available from URL: http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/pcr/article/viewFile/1868/1915.
- Sun J, Buys N, Stewart D, et al. Smoking in Australian university students and its association with socio-demographic factors, stress, health status, coping strategies, and attitude. Health Edu 2011; 111 (2): 117–132, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09654281111108535.
- Wakefield MA, Spittal MJ, Yong H-H, et al. Effects of mass media campaign exposure intensity and durability on quit attempts in a populations-based cohort study. Health Edu Res 2011; 26(6): 988–997, doi: 10.1093/her/cyr054.
- Hammond D, Thrasher J, Reid JL, et al. Perceived effectiveness of pictorial health warnings among Mexican youth and adults:a population-level intervention with potential to reduce tobacco-related inequities. Cancer Causes Control 2012; 23: 57–67,doi: 10.1007/s10552-012-9902-4.
- Hansen J, Winzeler S, Topolinski S. When death makes you smoke: a terror management perspective on the effectiveness of cigarette on-pack warnings. J Exp Soc Psychol 2010; 46: 226–228, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2009.09.007.
- Wakefield MA, Loken B, Hornik RC. Use of mass media campaigns to change health behavior. Lancet 2010; 376(9748):1261–1271, doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60809-4.
- Watel P, Beck F, Legleye S, et al. Becoming a smoker: adapting Becker’s model of deviance for adolescent smoking. Health Soc Rev 2007; 16(1): 53–67 [cited 30.07.2016]. Available from URL: https://www.questia.com/library/journal/1P3-1303220811/ becoming-a-smoker-adaptin.
- Belch GE, Belch MA. Advertising and promotion: an integrated marketing communications perspective. 7th ed. New York:McGraw-Hill/Irwin; 2007.
- Albers-Miller ND, Stafford MR. An international analysis of emotional and rational appeals in services vs. goods advertising.J Consum Mark 1999; 16(1): 42–57, doi: http://doi.org/10.1108/07363769910250769.
- Williams CK. Fear appeals theory. Res Bus Econ J 2012; 5: 1–21.
- Devlin E, Eadie D, Stead M, et al. Comparative study of young people’s response to anti-smoking messages. Int J Adv 2007;26(1): 99–128 [cited 30.07.2016]. Available from URL: http://hdl.handle.net/1893/1903.
- Hong L, Wei T. The effect of anti-smoking media campaign on smoking behavior: The California experience. Ann Econ Finance 2009; 10(1): 29–47 [cited 30.07.2016]. Available from URL: http://aeconf.com/Articles/May2009/aef100103.pdf.
- Hitchman SC, Driezen P, Logel C, et al. Changes in effectiveness of cigarette health warnings over time in Canada and the United States, 2002–2011. Nicotine Tob Res 2014; 16(5): 536–543, doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntt196.
- Bunce J. Students ignore antismoking campaign’. 2008 [cited 30.07.2015]. Available from URL: http://www.esperance.yourguide.com.au/news/breaking/general/students-ignore-antismoking-campaigns/1175890.html.
- Lennon R, Rentfro R. Are young adults fear appeal effectiveness ratings explained by fear arousal, perceived threat and perceived efficacy? Inno Mark 2010; 6(1): 58–65 [cited 30.07.2015]. Available from URL: http://businessperspectives.org/journals_free/im/2010/im_en_2010_01_Lennon.pdf.
- Biener L, Wakefield M, Shiner CM, et al. How broadcast volume and emotional content affect youth recall of anti-tobacco advertising. Am J Prev Med 2008; 35(1): 14–19, doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2008.03.018.
- Durkin SJ, Biener L, Wakefield MA. Effects of different types of antismoking ads on reducing disparities in smoking cessation among socioeconomic subgroups. Am J Public Health 2009; 99(12): 2217–2223, doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2009.161638.
- Sims M, Langley T, Lewis S, et al. Effectiveness of tobacco control television advertisements with different types of emotional content on tobacco use in England, 2004–2010. Tob Control 2014; 25(1): 21–26, doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051454.
- Kenntoft J, Neglen J. Standardization and adaptation in television advertising [thesis]. Lulea: Lulea University of Technology;2007 [cited 30.07.2015]. Available from URL: http://epubl.ltu.se/1402-1773/2007/201/LTU-CUPP-07201-SE.pdf.
- Cohen EL, Shumate MD, Gold A. Anti-smoking media campaign messages: theory and practice. Health Commun 2007; 22(2):91–102, doi: 10.1080/10410230701453884
- Creswell JW. Educational research: Planning, conducting and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research. 2nd ed. New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2005.
- Sachs K. Up in smoke: how antismoking advertisements have changed youth smoking habits. The Elon J Undergrad Res Commun 2010; 1(1): 58–69 [cited 30.07.2015]. Available from URL: http://www.elon.edu/docs/e-web/academics/communications/ research/06sachsejspring10.pdf.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), HHS. National Survey on Drug Use and Health,NSDUH: Summary of National Findings 2014. [cited 30.07.2015]. Available from URL: http://archive.samhsa.gov/data/NSDUH/2013SummNatFindDetTables/DetTabs/NSDUH-%20DetTabsSect4peTabs1to16-2013.htm#tab4.10a.
- Chaloupka FJ, Straif K, Leon ME. Effectiveness of tax and price policies in tobacco control, Tob Control 2010; 20(3): 235, doi:10.1136/tc.2010.039982.
Publication order reference