An Analysis of State Immigration Law on the Basis of Selected Examples
Languages of publication
In view of the fact that illegal aliens pose a state-level problem in the USA, their legislatures are extremely active in creating legislation aimed at controlling the illegal infl ux of people and solving issues concerning ones who are already residing in the United States. This paper presents current trends in states’ immigration policies, as well as the debate between the supporters of illegal immigrants and those who advocate the creation of more stringent laws. It focuses both on states where the percentage of undocumented individuals is relatively high and states where “national xenophobia” towards illegal aliens has appeared. In the second part, there is an attempt to answer the following question: Do undocumented immigrants solely generate costs for the federation and the individual states, or are there any benefi ts that they bring?
- Coleman Matthew. 2007. “Immigration Geopolitics Beyond the Mexico–US Border” Antipode(39) 1: 54–76.
- Groff Gaffi n. 2011. “SB 1070: A Year Later Costly SB 1070 brought businesses to the table”, TheTribune (Mesa, AZ).
- Hanson Gordon H. 2006. “Illegal Migration from Mexico to the United States”, Journal of EconomicLiterature, 4 (44): 869-924.
- Passel Jeffrey S., Zimmermann Wendy. 2001. “Are Immigrants Leaving California? SettlementPatterns of Immigrants in the Late 1990s”, Urban Institute, http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/are_immigrants_leaving_ca.pdf[18.10.2011]
- Postelwait Jeff. 2008. “Costly exodus: Hispanic fi rms hurt by HB 1804-related labor drain”,Tulsa World (OK).
- Redmon Jeremy. 2011. “State survey: 11,080 farm jobs unfi lled”, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Sakal Mike. 2010. “SB 1070 among many factors hurting state’s Hispanic businesses”, TheTribune (Mesa, AZ).
- Steller Tim, McCombs Brady. 2010. “Brewer appeals judge’s ruling on SB1070: SB 1070: Detailedcoverage”, Arizona Daily Star (Tucson, AZ).
- Su Rick. 2010. “The Overlooked Signifi cance of Arizona’s New Immigration Law”, MichiganLaw Review First Impressions, (109): 76-79.
- Tolbert Caroline J., Hero Roodney E. 1996. “Race/Ethnicity and Direct Democracy: An Analysisof California’s Illegal Immigration Initiative”, The Journal of Politics 3 (58): 806-818.
- Bernstein Josh, Blazer Jonathan, “Legalizing Undocumented Immigrants: As Essential Toolin Fighting Poverty”, CleaningHouse Review, http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/cir/ClrghsRvw-Nov-Dec2008.pdf [18.10.2011]
- Constitution of the State of New Mexico, http://www.sos.state.nm.us/pdf/2007nmconst.pdf
- Johnson Alex, Hauc Vanessa, “States seek to copy Arizona immigration law”, MSNBC,http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41182588/ns/us_news-immigration_a_nation_divided/[18.10.2011]
- Herrod Chris, Representative Chris Herrod re: Misinformation on Immigration Issues, http://senatesite.com/blog/2009/07/representative-chris-herrod-re.html [18.10.2011]
- Immigration Counters, http://immigrationcounters.com/ [18.10.2011]
- Illegal Immigration Statistics, http://www.buzzle.com/articles/illegal-immigration-statistics.html [18.10.2011]
- Lambert Brian, “A wonderful fi rst step,’ Emmer says of Arizona law”, Minipost.com,29.04.2011, http://www.minnpost.com/dailyglean/2010/04/29/17746/a_wonderful_fi rst_step_emmer_says_of_arizona_law [18.10.2011]
- National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Offi cials, http://www.naleo.org/[18.10.2011]
- National Conference of State Legislature, Immigrant Policy Project, 2010 Immigration-RelatedBills and Resolutions in the States, April 27, 2010, http: //www. ncsl. org/portals/1/documents/immig/immigration_report_april2010. pdf [18.10.2011]
- Passel Jeffrey S., Cohn D’Vera, “Unauthorized Immigrant Population: National and StateTrends, 2010”, Pew Hispanic Centre, 2, http://pewhispanic.org/fi les/reports/133.pdf
- Pew Hispanic Center, Modes of Entry for the Unauthorized Migrant Population, May 22,2006. http://pewhispanic.org/fi les/factsheets/19.pdf [18.10.2011]
- Polling Report, http://www.pollingreport.com/immigration.htm
- Quinnipiac Poll http://www.pollingreport.com/immigration.htm [18.10.2011]
- Rasmussen Report,http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/immigration/61_oppose_u_s_citizenship_for_children_born_to_illegal_immigrants [18.10.2011]
- Statement by Governor of Arizona, Jan Brewer, 23.04.2010, http://azgovernor.gov/dms/upload/PR_042310_StatementByGovernorOnSB1070.pdf [18.10.2011]
- U.S. Federal Court Decision Against Arizona Senate Bill 1070, http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/072810_ArizonaRuling.pdf [18.10.2011]
Publication order reference