Violence against women. The critical issues of the migration crisis in Europe
Languages of publication
Since the beginning of 2015 an increased number of migrants arriving in Europe has been observed. This situation has revealed the problem of violence, in particular experienced by women. It is violence that women experience in countries of origin and during the process of seeking asylum in other countries. Besides the violence related to the migrant status or origin, there is also another kind of violence against women, it is gender-based violence. The mere fact of being a woman becomes a factor of victimization. A woman cannot feel comfortable or safe anywhere because as a woman she is always exposed to violence. The aim of this article is to overview of various aspects of violence against women in the context of current situation in Europe, and in particular in Germany.
- Birnbaum Robert, Challenge for an entire country, “Magazine Deutschland DE”, p. 23-25.
- Breitenbach Dagmar, Do migrants in Germany need sex education?: http://www.dw.com/en/do-migrants-in-germany-need-sex-education/a-19115638
- BAMF (Federal Office for Migration and Refugees): http://www.bamf.de/EN/Infothek/Statistiken/statistiken-node.html (accessed 21 June, 2016).
- Challenge for an entire country: https://www.deutschland.de/en/topic/life/society-integration/challenge-for-an-entire-country (accessed 24 June, 2016).
- Initial Assessment Report: Protection Risks for Women and Girls in the European Refugee and Migrant Crisis: http://www.unfpa.org/sites/default/files/resource-pdf/EuropeMission_Protection_Risks_19_Jan_Final_0.pdf (accessed 11 May, 2016).
- Definition and typology of violence: http://www.who.int/violenceprevention/approach/definition/en/ (accessed 11 May, 2016).
- United Nations Definition of Violence Against Women. United Nations General Assembly. Declaration on the Elimination of Violence against Women, 85th Plenary Meeting, 20th December 1993, Geneva. (Resolution 48/104).
- The United Nations Fourth World Conference on Women, Beijing, Platform for Action (1995), paragraph 118.
- Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence: https://rm.coe.int/CoERMPublicCommonSearchServices/DisplayDCTMContent?documentId=090000168046031c (accessed 12 May, 2016).
- Freedman Jane, Jamal Bahija, VIOLENCE AGAINST MIGRANT AND REFUGEE WOMEN IN THE EUROMED REGION, 2008: http://c-faculty.chuo-u.ac.jp/~andyb/GM/GMFrance/GMFrviol.pdf (accessed 19 May, 2016).
- Crenshaw, Kimberlé W. 1989. Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex, “University of Chicago Legal Forum” No. 167: 139-167. Retrieved from: http://www.pueg.unam.mx/images/seminarios2015_2/nociones_teoricas/s_12/kimberle_crenshaw_demarginalizing.pdf (accessed 11 June, 2016).
- Crenshaw, Kimberlé W. 1991. Mapping the margins: intersectionality, identity politics, and violence against women of color. “Stanford Law Review” No. 43: 1241–1299. DOI:10.2307/1229039.
- Female refugees face physical assault, exploitation and sexual harassment on their journey through Europe: https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/01/female-refugees-face-physical-assault-exploitation-and-sexual-harassment-on-their-journey-through-europe/ (accessed 21 May, 2016).
- Opinion: Suddenly, it's about more than just male chauvinism: http://www.dw.com/en/opinion-suddenly-its-about-more-than-just-male-chauvinism/a-19101272 (accessed 23 May, 2016).
- Report: Cologne-like New Year's Eve attacks in 12 German states: http://www.dw.com/en/report-cologne-like-new-years-eve-attacks-in-12-german-states/a-18999994 (accessed 23 May, 2016).
- “Most of them were recently-arrived asylum seekers”: Reports: asylum seekers among Cologne attacks suspects: http://www.dw.com/en/reports-asylum-seekers-among-cologne-attacks-suspects/a-18966406 (accessed 23 May, 2016).
- Alice Schwarzer: 'The perpetrators on NYE in Cologne were Islamists': http://www.dw.com/en/alice-schwarzer-the-perpetrators-on-nye-in-cologne-were-islamists/a-19251564 (accessed 21 May, 2016).
- Zanzu: www.zanzu.de
- UNESCO eAtlas of Literacy: http://tellmaps.com/uis/literacy/#!/tellmap/-1082895961(accessed 21 June, 2016).
Publication order reference