Konstrukcja Kroniki księdza Stefana Ranatowicza CRL (1617–1694) oraz wstępny zarys problematyki
Constructi on of the chronicle of priest Stefan Ranatowicz CRL (1617-1694) and a preliminary outline of the issue
Languages of publication
The subject of the article is a seventeenth-century Chronicle by Stefan Ranatowicz CRL. The chronicler was born and spent most of his life in Kazimierz near Cracow. He was born in 1617 in a fairly wealthy for those times, a middle-class family whose origin is unknown. He died in 1694. The writing of priest Stefan Ranatowicz covers works of historiographical and hagiographical nature. One can find biographical works and collections of sermons as well as entries in the books of various kinds including civil records or “brackie” books or administrative-economic books, as well as in the book of general chapters. The author was in fact a chronicler of the Order of Canons Regular of the Lateran with particular emphasis on the congregation of Corpus Christi in Kazimierz near Cracow. Some interest in the Chronicle appeared only after the death of its author. Until now, however, this work has not been fully drawn up or released – it still remains in the form of a manuscript in the collections of the Jagiellonian Library. It is the story of the Congregation of Canons Regular of the Lateran of congregation of Cracow. It contains a presentation of achievements and short biographies of provosts; also described are the beginnings of Kazimierz near Cracow, which in times of the chronicler was actually a separate town. The work was intended by the author for the benefit of the monastery of canons regular. The Chronicle was written in two languages – Latin and Polish. Stefan Ranatowicz used both fluently and with great ease. The essential part of the Chronicle covers the history of successive provosts of the Kazimierz convent of Canons Regular of the Lateran presented in chronological order of governance. These events are shown on the background of the history of the parish of Corpus Christi and the towns of Kazimierz and Cracow. The author also places some notes on the events in Poland and in the world, although to those most important he devoted separate chapters later in the book. The work constitutes a valuable and reliable source for the study of history and culture.
- Błachut J.A., Bartynowski M., W pięćsetną rocznicę założenia klasztoru Bożego Ciała na Kazimierzu w Krakowie (1405-1905). Szkice dziejów opactwa XX. Kanoników Regularnych Laterańskich, Kraków 1905.
- Krasnowolski B., Ulice i place Krakowskiego Kazimierza, Kraków 1992.
- Krukowski J., Nauczyciele krakowskich szkółparafialnych w XVII wieku, w: Nauczanie w dawnych wiekach, Iwańczak W., Bracha K. (red.), Kielce 1997.
- Łatak K., Ksiądz Stefan Ranatowicz CRL (1617-1694). Barokowy kronikarz i pisarz klasztorny, Kraków 2010.
- Łatak K., Poczet rządców opactwa Bożego Ciała Kanoników Regularnych Laterańskich w Krakowie, Kraków 2005.
- Wisłocki W., Katalog rękopisów Biblioteki Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego, cz. 2, Kraków 1877.
Publication order reference